Version 12.0 released (June 15, 2013)
New or Improved:
• Import references and pdfs from the Web while in the library window
The browser pane has the same features as Bookends browser in the Online Search window. Use the green proxy icon to import references and pdfs (if they can be identified) from Web pages that include PMIDs, DOIs, or whose references are encoded as COinS. Use the browser paper clip button to attach any pdf or Web page that you can navigate to.
• Updated database engine with journaling (protects against database corruption)
When run, Bookends will create a temporary copy of your database with the same name but with the extension .journal. When the database is closed, this temporary database will be deleted. However, if the program crashes the temporary file will remain, and when you next open the database any data that was lost or corrupted because of the crash will be restored. You can manually delete the .journal file, but if you do it will not be available to ensure the integrity of the database when it is opened again.
• Spell checking
Use the Edit menu or right-click in a reference field in the editing pane. Set fields you want to be spell checked automatically in preferences.
• Multi-level Undo/Redo
• Improved library window toolbar
A right-click in the toolbar gives you several options: Icons and Text, Icons Only, and Text Only.
• Advanced PubMed search lets you limit the results to a particular language (e.g. English)
• Improved detection of DOIs on Web pages
• Improved sorting of citation groups
If the sort is by author, Bookends will ignore punctuation between the last authors and "et al.". In rare cases, such additions could cause the sort to be out of name-order.
• New formatting option "cap SURNAME"
First names(s) will not be modified.
• New formatting option "titles in SMALL CAPS"
Bookends will preserve any capitalized letters in their normal size and the rest will be output as small caps.
• Improved author capitalization
For author capitalization options, the text between the last two names, if any, is output as entered in the format except for small CAPS, in which case it is output as all small capitals.
• Remove styles from text in reference field with a right-click
Use Global Change if you want to do this on multiple fields and/or multiple references.
• Open attachments in the application of your choice with a right-click
Open attachments in the Finder's default application, Preview, Acrobat Reader, Skim, or PDFPen with a right-click on the reference in the library window or by using the Action pop-up menu.
• New Help menu option: Show Bookends Folder in Finder
This will take you to the Finder and open the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Bookends. This folder is the default location for your library (you may have selected another) and is where support folders and files that you may want easy access to are located.
• In the Edit Bookmarks window you can specify which Web page should be automatically opened by Bookends browser
This only applies to the Online Search window. The browser in the library window always automatically opens the URL of the selected reference.
• File -> Open Location
This is enabled whenever a window has a browser open, and will move the focus to the URL field.
• Right-click on a column in the reference window to select a different field to display
This will update Preferences as well. If you want to add or remove columns (not just change the heading), you must use Preferences, List tab.
• Easier creation of new references from multiple attachments
If you drag and drop more than one file on the library window (or a folder containing more than one file), a dialog will appear asking if you want to create a new reference for each one and import the metadata from the Internet, or if you want to attach them all to the selected reference.
• Type-ahead in Term Lists and the Groups pane
Go to a specific term or group by typing its first few letters. In the groups pane, the search is only for groups and folders whose names are showing.
• Bookends PDF attachments that were edited in Bookends On Tap and then synced with Bookends will be placed back in their original folder
• Super/Sub in bibliographies no longer will end the style when a space is encountered
You must terminate the super/subscript yourself: H|2|O and ^3^H..
• Reference exporting to versions of Bookends prior to 10 has been removed
Reference exported to versions 10-11.3.7 will contain text but not styled text information.
• The keyboard shortcut for duplication a reference is Command-D
• "type" is now a reserved word in SQL searches
To perform an SQL search for a reference Type you must enclose this word with square brackets: [type]
• For the GUID AppleEvent, multiple refs will be separated by a return (ASCII 13), not a null character
This is because RTF does not allow null characters.
• Command-M will minimize the front window
Command-Option-M is the new shortcut for Mark/Unmark references.
• If the short title field is empty it will be treated as such when formattingg
Previously, the full title was used in this instance.
• Window -> Attachments replaces the Window -> Groups menu
• Import/export of EndNote 7 XML schema no longer supported
Import/export of XML files compatible with EndNote 8 or later (including all X versions) is supported.
• Quick Font toggle
• Show Clipboard
• There is no keyboard shortcut for deleting a reference being viewed in the standalone reference window
Use Refs -> Delete. When viewing references in the library window, use the Delete key to delete references with a confirmation dialog, or Command-Delete to delete without confirmation.
• If you are upgrading to Bookends 12, the first time you run it any existing custom formats will be moved to ~/Library/Application Support/Bookends/Custom Formats Before Bookends 12
You can use these older, non-upgraded formats, if you need them with your pre-Bookends 12 version of Bookends.
• When converting an older Bookends database to version 12, all reference field text will be set to black
• Bug fixes
Fixed a bug that would result in an error message if you dragged text onto a library window and selected Bookends Tab-Delimited File to import it. Fixed a bug that caused an error if you invoked Copy Formatted while a field was being edited. Fixed a bug in which a pdf shown in the reference pane was not removed when the selection changed and no reference was selected. Fixed a bug that prevented AppleEvent searches for escaped characters from finding the correct references. Fixed a bug that would cause an error to be thrown when doing an Autocomplete Paper with the Term List window open. Fixed several bugs in the formatting of metatypes in scanned documents. Fixed a bug that would yield incorrect hits when doing a boolean OR Find that was limited to references in the Hits List. Meaningless punctuation marks at the beginning of a temporary citation will be removed from the scanned citation. Fixed a bug that could cause an error to be thrown when scanning a .odt (LibreOffice) document.