psychinfo database access

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
mitchellm

psychinfo database access

Post by mitchellm »

First, I may not be understanding the "reference surfing" feature correctly. I've played around with it, even looked through parts of the manual, but it all seems pretty obscure to me at the moment.

What caught my attention is the ability to bring the web citation and PDF directly into Bookends. That would be fantastic!

All of the references I want are on the PsychLit (or is it PsychInfo) database. Can any provide clear instructions on how to bring in references and PDFs from PsychInfo?

Thanks in advance.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: psychinfo database access

Post by Jon »

Hi,

You can't. For the moment direct pdf downloading works with references on PubMed (some of which would overlap with PsycInfo, though). Reference surfing could work for the PsycInfo web site, I suppose, if there are unique identifiers with the references found that link back to pdfs. Since I don't have PsycInfo access privileges I can't test that myself. Perhaps you could and contact me directly (support@sonnysoftware.com) with the results.

Jon
Sonny Software
mitchellm

Post by mitchellm »

Jon,

I actually have no idea about this identifier number. (Not sure exactly where to look or check this out.)

This is what I get when I click on one article's basic info via PsychInfo (w/o correct formatting). See below.

Does anything in this info indicate good possibilities?

Here's the basic info PsychInfo provides:

Revising the redundancy principle in multimedia learning.

Author(s):
Mayer, Richard E., Department of Psychology, University of California, Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA, US, mayer@psych.ucsb.edu
Johnson, Cheryl I., Department of Psychology, University of California, Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA, US
Address:
Mayer, Richard E., Department of Psychology, University of California, Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA, US, 93106-9660, mayer@psych.ucsb.edu
Source:
Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol 100(2), May 2008. pp. 380-386.
Publisher:
US: American Psychological Association.
Other Publishers:
US: Warwick & York
ISSN:
0022-0663 (Print)
1939-2176 (Electronic)
Digital Object Identifier:
10.1037/0022-0663.100.2.380
Language:
English
Keywords:
educational technology; multimedia learning; redundancy effect; PowerPoint presentation
Abstract:
College students viewed a short multimedia PowerPoint presentation consisting of 16 narrated slides explaining lightning formation (Experiment 1) or 8 narrated slides explaining how a car's braking system works (Experiment 2). Each slide appeared for approximately 8-10 s and contained a diagram along with 1-2 sentences of narration spoken in a female voice. For some students (the redundant group), each slide also contained 2-3 printed words that were identical to the words in the narration, conveyed the main event described in the narration, and were placed next to the corresponding portion of the diagram. For other students (the nonredundant group), no on-screen text was presented. Results showed that the group whose presentation included short redundant phrases within the diagram outperformed the nonredundant group on a subsequent test of retention (d = 0.47 and 0.70, respectively) but not on transfer. Results are explained by R. E. Mayer's (2001, 2005a) cognitive theory of multimedia learning, in which the redundant text served to guide the learner's attention without priming extraneous processing. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2008 APA, all rights reserved)(from the journal abstract)
Subjects:
*Cognitive Processes; *Computer Assisted Instruction; *Computer Software; *Learning; *Technology
Classification:
Curriculum & Programs & Teaching Methods (3530)
Population:
Human (10)
Male (30)
Female (40)
Age Group:
Adulthood (18 yrs & older) (300)
Grant Information:
This project was supported by a grant from the Office of Naval Research
Methodology:
Empirical Study; Quantitative Study
Publication Type:
Journal, Peer Reviewed Journal; Electronic
Format(s) Available: Electronic; Print
Document Type:
Journal Article
Release Date:
Accession Number:
2008-05694-008
Number of Citations in Source:
Persistent link to this record:
http://0-search.ebscohost.com.ignacio.u ... scope=site
Database:
PsycINFO
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The persistent link could, but it doesn't lead to anything.

Jon
Sonny Software
mitchellm

Post by mitchellm »

Jon: Strange. The link works for me (by this I mean the link included in the forum here). But it may be the issue that I have "permission" to access this database at my university and you don't.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

What I see (in Safari) is not a valid URl. It has unescaped spaces in it, for one thing.

If you want to follow up on this, please contact tech support directly.

Jon
Sonny Software