How to change default behaviors in auto complete window?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
livin1965

How to change default behaviors in auto complete window?

Post by livin1965 »

When I select autocomplete and the window appears...

1. If there are more than one results found, they appear in what seems to be a random order (ie; not by "relevance", date, author or anything else). Also, there doesn't appear to be a way to sort the results by any fields. Can the option to display results be changed to allow for author, year, title?

2. Right now the autocomplete window returns to the same small size each time I use it, even if I've resized it previously. I often cannot read the titles of the matched items and need to resize it every time. Can the autocomplete window remember when it's resized and return to that size each time it's used?

3. The buttons on the resize window for "search" "close" etc seem to be in an odd order to my brain. It seems like "Import" should be on it's own and not right between close and search. Also, after a search, the default should change to "import" but it stays on search so that if you press return, you just keep searching. Assuming, as I have found, Bookends finds the right result about 50-70% of the time and places it at the top, then defaulting to "import" makes it easier to complete the action.

4. When I change the search database, say from PubMed to Google Scholar, any text I had in the title field disappears. It seems the text generally disappears anytime I change between any two search databases. Can the title info simply be carried over to the text field for other database searches? Presumably the title is the most unique identifying information about the item, so keeping it would seem to be a real timesaver so folks don't have to copy and paste to start and then repeatedly paste it over and over between search databases.

Josh
Jon
Site Admin

Re: How to change default behaviors in auto complete window?

Post by Jon »

You mean Autocomplete Paper.

1. The results are returned in the order provided by whatever order the online source you are using provides them.

2. That shouldn't be hard.

3. I have no issue with the order. But having the default change to Import isn't a bad idea.

4. The title is in fact kept, and if you switch between two sources that have a Title field you'll see that (like JSTOR and PubMed). Google Scholar doesn't have a Title field.

Jon
Sonny Software
nicka

Post by nicka »

2. and 3. would both be good.

Re 4: Perhaps when moving from a search of one of the other databases to Google Scholar, text that is in a title field could be put into the 'Any Text' field.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

2 and 3 will be included in the next update.

Jon
Sonny Software
livin1965

Post by livin1965 »

nicka wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:10 am 2. and 3. would both be good.

Re 4: Perhaps when moving from a search of one of the other databases to Google Scholar, text that is in a title field could be put into the 'Any Text' field.
I like that suggestion.