[Solved] How do I organize similar references?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
JonathanTA

[Solved] How do I organize similar references?

Post by JonathanTA »

I would like to be able organize my imported references into distinct subject categories/folders and have no idea how to do that.
I did check the FAQ's and Manual, no luck in those resources; I couldn't even find a close feature that would help get me started.

Disclaimer: I am switching from Zotero because of the AppleScript functionality in Bookends. I am not asking for help with AppleScript, I am only asking for help regarding organizing my imported references.
Last edited by JonathanTA on Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: [Brand New] How do I organize similar references?

Post by Jon »

You can do it several ways with groups. For example, you can have static groups for different subjects and import into those. If you're using direct Online Search (just as an example, PubMed, but there are many others), drag and drop the references you want into the group of your choice. Or if adding a PDF and you want the metadata, drop it onto a static group of your choice. And of course you can add to/remove from groups post-import.

Another approach would be to define smart groups that look for particular words in your references (e.g. Descartes, just to pick a non-scientific example) and have them retrieved whenever you click on that group.

Arranging groups inside of folders (multilevel, if you like), is done in the library window with drag and drop.

Jon
Sonny Software
JonathanTA

Re: [Brand New] How do I organize similar references?

Post by JonathanTA »

Thank you for breaking it down into simple instructions. I was stuck from the Zotero way of doing things.