Best way to include graphic image with reference?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
DrJJWMac

Best way to include graphic image with reference?

Post by DrJJWMac »

In my field (STEM), articles often include a graphic image with the abstract to the article. What is the best approach to include graphic images in the reference list?
Last edited by DrJJWMac on Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Best wya to include graphic image with reference?

Post by Jon »

Graphics can only be shown in attachments, they aren't stored in the library's database itself. Graphic abstracts will appear in the attached PDF. If you don't want to attach the PDF for some reason, an image of the graphic (e.g. a png or jpg file) can be attached and displayed in the attachment pane.

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Re: Best way to include graphic image with reference?

Post by DrJJWMac »

Thanks.

When I click on a graphic image either in the full text view or a PDF view, the context menu gives the options: Open Image in New Window ... to Share (in various ways). Do you have access to recognize that a user is clicking on a graphic? Can you add a context menu to this selection list that would directly "Save Image as Reference Attachment"?

An advanced feature request for the future would be to allow storing a graphic image to represent a reference *not as an additional attachment*.
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm sorry, I don't understand. For an image (e.g. a jpg) to appear in the "PDF View" (here its is a "graphic view") it must be attached to the reference. So I don't know what you mean by "save image as reference attachment". I'm speaking of Bookends Mac -- maybe you're discussing Bookends iOS?

Bookends Mac leaves all files (images, PDFs, text files) that are attachments as files on the HD. Bookends just displays them (and in the case of PDFs, annotatates them).

If it would help, please send screen snaps of what you see to support@sonnysoftware.com.

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

I'll forward some snapshots in a few days (traveling now). Just briefly though, I believe my mistake is to forget the difference between the Web browser view and the PDF view. I can click on images in the former to see a context menu about actions to take on the image.
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I understand now. That control is an OS component (WebKit) and Bookends can't intercept clicks. If you are using the browser view integrated in the library window, you'll see a paper clip icon in the upper right that will download and attach the web page (as a webarchive) to the selected reference. If you're in the separate Bookends Browser view, you can also use the down arrow to attach the web page as a webarchive. But you can't make attachments of individual images.

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

Thanks. A few further suggestions.

* The context menu has access to the Share sheets. I've used Curiota to move the image into a storage and then drag+drop it onto the reference as a new attachment. I suspect that Notes could do the same function. Perhaps BE could have a share option to store it directly.

* The context menu has an option to copy image. Perhaps when we context click on a reference, the context menu Attach ... could include From the Clipboard.
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll add them to the user-request list.

Jon
Sonny Software