Copy notecard and citation

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
vinschger

Copy notecard and citation

Post by vinschger »

The feature "copy notecard and citations" is great, it copies all notecards with according citation to the clipboard.

Is there also a possibility to select several references in the reference list (with CMD+click) and then copy all notecards of all these references including the notecards (i.e. not for a reference only, but for all selected references)... this would be fantastic....
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Copy notecard and citation

Post by Jon »

Notecards are simply a convenient way to view and manipulate data in the notes field. You can accumulate the notes from any group of marked references and using with a format that just outputs the notes: n

Jon
Sonny Software
vinschger

Post by vinschger »

Dear Jon
maybe I am not understanding you correctly.

is there a way to select n references in bookends and then perform "copy citations and notes" in order to insert all notes with citations of the b references for example in word.

currently, I have to copy citation and notes for each reference seperate.

if this is not possible yet within bookends, this is a feature suggestion for the future... what do you think about it?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I don't care for it. I explained that you can do this by creating a format for notes and then use Biblio -> Bibliography to send them to the bib window (if you want to copy them) or to disk. Does this take a few steps - yes. Is it hard or inflexible - no. If we added every conceivable small and specific feature that someone wants (with shortcuts!) Bookends would become unusable.

You manipulate notecards in the note stream, not in the reference list.

Jon
Sonny Software
vinschger

Post by vinschger »

Dear Jon,

indeed this is a feasible solution.
I was able to create this with a format style and I am experimenting with it now.
Thanks so much for the hint!

Best wishes
vinschger

Post by vinschger »

Jon, this exports only the notecards (not the notes created by highlighting text in a pdf? Correct? Or is there a way to extract also those notes directly in this process?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The annotations belong to the PDF, not Bookends. You can import the highlight to a Bookends notecard when it's created. If you want to extract annotations you can use PDF managers. Maybe DEVONthink does that as well.

Jon
Sonny Software
vinschger

Post by vinschger »

I understand this all, but as bookends is able to show annotations (highlighted text), it would be great, if I can extract this data with a format field code... "N" extracts notecards, and maybe in the future an additional code, e.g. "A" would also extract annotations (highlighted text etc)... as you show the data in bookends as yellow notes, you already extract this information quite perfect, why not allowing to extract them also in a format style/bibliography? But I can absolutely understand that this is not a high priority issue, therefore just as a wish from a bookends newbie... using third party software would indeed be an option, but it's always more straightforward if I can solve issues within one product. (as it's not so easy to add multiple highlighted text to notecards on ios as it is on macos - see seperate thread - having a possibllity to extract highlighted text with a format style on macos would not make it necessary to copy each highlighted-note to a notecard manually afterwards). but maybe there is another solutiln to solve this within bookends... I may have missed anything...
vinschger

Post by vinschger »

@Jon do you think adding the possibility to "extract/output" annotations with a format output (like N for notecards, and A for annotations) might be included in a future update? I know, that annotations can be extracted with third-party programs, but being able to this directly with bookends (identical to N for notecards) would be great. Please regard this as a constructive and kind user suggestion for a future release. I would appreciate it very much
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You can copy the contents of annotations right now. Check the option to Show Highlight PDF Text As Notecards. You'll see them listed in the note stream as notecards (there will be a tiny lock icon). You can copy these with a right-click, just as you can notecards whose data is in the database.

You can select all of the notecards and do a right-click -> Copy Notecard to get all of them, then paste them into a document if you like.

If you mean output them via a format as if they were metadata, then no, that makes no sense.

Jon
Sonny Software
vinschger

Post by vinschger »

yes, manually it's possible, as you have explained. an output of annotations with a format would allow to extract annotations of all selected documents with one click into a file directly within bookends and without the need for using a third party software. for me this would make sense. but I can accept if you do feel that other users might not need this.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

We're not going to treat annotations like reference metadata. But I expect we'll have a way to extract and export annotations from multiple PDFs at once in a future update.

Jon
Sonny Software
vinschger

Post by vinschger »

Dear Jon

wow - it's simply great that you plan an annotation export feature for multiple pdfs in the future. Bookends is a great product, and this will make it even better for my workflow. Just as a suggestion: it would be great to export also the temporary citations... the export syntax could maybe something like this?

{author1 et al., 2021, #8321}
Authorname1, Title1, Journalname1, Year1
- notecard 1
- notecard 2
- notecard 3
- annotation 1
- annotation 2
- annotation 3

{author2 et al., 2021, #8322}
Authorname2, Title2, Journalname2, Year2
- notecard 1
- notecard 2
- notecard 3
- annotation 1
- annotation 2
- annotation 3

This would Allow to use the export when writing a manuscript (temporary citations can then be transformed into references, and exported notecards and annotations can be used or quoted in the further manuscript writing process). Just as an idea... maybe other bookends users have other ideas or needs?
vinschger

Post by vinschger »

Dear Jon, is this still on your roadmap or can you provide more details? thanks
Jon wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:02 pm We're not going to treat annotations like reference metadata. But I expect we'll have a way to extract and export annotations from multiple PDFs at once in a future update.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That was included in v14.0.4. See the release notes

https://www.sonnysoftware.com/updates/u ... story.html

Jon
Sonny Software