Command + A Hijacked by Bookends

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Deckerd

Command + A Hijacked by Bookends

Post by Deckerd »

Over the past few days, pressing Command + A ( select all ) in any application activates Bookends ( the app ). If I press Command + A anywhere again, the window switches to Bookends instead of “selecting all.” If I press Command + A WHILE using Bookends, I can actually see that it is selecting “Edit” then “Copy” … the hotkey for Copy in Bookends is the same as it is in most apps, Command + C. If I reset my computer, the problem fixes itself but, for whatever reason, pops up again. I do not notice any pattern in my own behavior that is causing this to happen. Also, I do own KeyCue which I assume can be used to troubleshoot hotkey mapping issues, but it does not list Command + A as associated with anything other than “Select All.” Even when I have Bookends open, KeyCue still shows Command + A as mapped to “Select All.”

Sorry for the long winded post. Any help troubleshooting or resolving this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Command + A Hijacked by Bookends

Post by Jon »

This is something on your system, of course, not Bookends. I'd reboot the Mac (maybe that's what you mean by reset). And if that's only temporary, reboot in Safe mode (Shift key held down). That will prevent 3rd party processes from running. I'd also try disabling any utilities you are running, like KeyCue, and see if that fixes it.

Jon
Sonny Software
Deckerd

Post by Deckerd »

Yep, I had tried all those options already. Found a relatively obscure app that gave more accurate info than KeyCue. The problem ended up being an Alfred Workflow for Bookends. Disabled it, and all is well again. Thanks.
iandol

Post by iandol »

Hm, if that was my Alfred workflow, just to mention that by default no key bindings are set up so that shouldn't happen. Alfred workflows can be setup to be triggered by key commands but you must set that up manually...
Deckerd

Post by Deckerd »

I don't think the workflow was the issue. I think, at some point, I manually assigned the aforementioned key combination.