In-text citations: Using multiple formats

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
C_H

In-text citations: Using multiple formats

Post by C_H »

Hi there,

I am using Bookends and Mellel to write a document. The document is formatted in APA 7th.

I would like my citations to be formatted in one of two ways, depending on whether they are placed at the end of a sentence

... (Smith, 2021)

or anywhere else in the sentence

Smith (2021) argued...

At the moment, all citations are formatted the first way [a, d]. I know I can change the formatting to [a (d)] under Biblio > Formats Manager > Citation Options but that seems to change the formatting for all citations.

I have also tried to edit a specific citation directly in Mellel (by changing the Formatted Citation). This changes the formatting temporarily - until a new citation is inserted.

I understand that any edits (e.g., \text\, @123) must be made directly to the Citation but I am not sure how to change the format of a specific citation from [a, d] to [a (d)].

Questions
1. How can I change the format of a specific citation in Mellel?
2. Alternatively, how can I set up Bookends to accommodate two formats?

Thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Re: In-text citations: Using multiple formats

Post by Jon »

You can use metacharacters at the beginning of a temp citation to achieve many different outcomes.

In your case, if you want the author in front, you'd use ^

{^temp citation}

You can add it in Mellel itself, or have Bookends do that for you with Edit -> Copy Citation And Modifiers

Jon
Sonny Software
C_H

Post by C_H »

Thanks Jon.

In a similar vein, is there a metacharacter to place the title in front? Legal cases are cited in the following manner:

(A v B, 2021)

and

A v B (2021)

As a workaround, I can just move the title to the author space...
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

No. All of the metacharacters are listed in the user guide, and you can see them in the Copy Citation And Modifiers menu I cited.

You could also create a Legal Type and in the format have the Citation Options set to output title wherever you want it.

Jon
Sonny Software