Footnotes to Citations

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
gkronk

Footnotes to Citations

Post by gkronk »

I am new to Bookends and bought it to do citations in Nisus Writer Pro on a Macintosh. I have sent a manuscript to a publisher. This publisher has already published two of my books which had footnotes throughout. They now no longer want footnotes, but citations. So, I have to convert 769 footnotes to citations. These footnotes are to specific references that i have obtained quotes from, not comments. Can Bookends convert these footnotes to citations automatically?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Footnotes to Citations

Post by Jon »

Bookends can't do that, it would be something only the word processor could do. NWP has extensive macro capabilities, so it's something you might want to ask of them. Note that going forward, for Bookends to insert final citations (and create a bibliography) you must insert temporary citations that Bookends can recognize and then scan that document.

Jon
Sonny Software
Philologist

Post by Philologist »

They now no longer want footnotes, but citations. So, I have to convert 769 footnotes to citations.
Yes, this can be done in Nisus Writer Pro. :–)

1. Generally speaking, when you scan a Nisus document you should always have the option "Retain hidden citations" in Bookends enabled. If you did that, then all you need to do is to execute the "Unscan Document" command in Nisus (Tools > Bibliography > Unscan Document) and

2. run the macro “Convert Notes to Text” on a copy of your document. This will transform all your footnotes into temporary inline citations.

3. Now execute the menu command "Scan Document" in Nisus. You'll be asked which reference style you want to use. Choose your style, click OK, and you're done.

NB:
You may have to tweak the macro a little bit to suit your needs, but that isn't difficult.

If you need to go the other way, you can use my macro “Convert inline citations from Bookends to footnotes in NWP.”
Philologist

Post by Philologist »

I made a test with some old documents and converted footnote references to inline citations. You don't even have to re-scan the document because the macro takes every footnote and inserts it as an inline citation. If that is what you want, then finish by running this macro:

1.png
1.png (19.09 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
gkronk

Post by gkronk »

Philologist wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:28 pm I made a test with some old documents and converted footnote references to inline citations. You don't even have to re-scan the document because the macro takes every footnote and inserts it as an inline citation. If that is what you want, then finish by running this macro:

1.png

This seems to get me most of the way there. I appreciate the help!