attachement link lost / attachement not found

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: attachement link lost / attachement not found

Post by Jon »

Please contact support@sonnysoftware.com

I have a diagnostic build I'll like you to run.

Jon
Sonny Software
ctg7w6

Post by ctg7w6 »

Ok, emailed!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please download 13.5 again, I think the problem some had with PDFs with accented characters has been resolved.

Jon
Sonny Software
dr.cox

Post by dr.cox »

I have found this problem also in pdf's without accented characters. It is still there after the latest updates. I now can't even remove the ofphaned attachement entries..... this is a proper nuisance.
nturcan

Post by nturcan »

The same problem here for a library imported from EndNote: all my pdfs with special characters in their names are not displayed. My Bookends library is in the Documents folder automatically located in the iCloud. I've begun to reattach them one by one… I'm using Bookends 14.0.9.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I can't reproduce this. I named a PDF with accented and Greek characters and attached it to an EN reference. I exported that reference as XML and imported it into Bookends. The PDF was displayed. Please try that and see what happens.

BTW, you should not have your library stored in iCloud drive. Please move it out of there now or your risk corrupting the library. You should be using Bookends cloud sync instead, which is entirely safe and far superior to syncing the entire library each time you make an edit. Please read this FAQ

https://www.sonnysoftware.com/faq/faq.h ... e_when_I_o

Jon
Sonny Software
ctg7w6

Post by ctg7w6 »

I was the original poster of this quite a while back so I thought I might chime in, since I received an email that this topic was recently updated.

I have not had the issue since Jon suggested downloading... I think it was 13.5, way back when the issue first presented itself. I didn't do anything else to fix the issue other than download the latest update.

But, I tried out special charactered files on 14.0.9. No issues. A few moments later I updated to 14.1 and still have no issues.

My original issues were with any kind of accented characters of the following languages: German, French, various Eastern European (but nothing cyrrilic, Russian, etc, just Latin based).

I do not have any issues with anything related to those now at all. Someone said that this was affecting references imported from other bib software... I cannot speak to that because I set my library up on Bookends completely anew rather than importing it, so I don't know if that's an issue.

But, my point is.... my original issue is gone, so I wonder if this new issue is unrelated to mine (at least in the way the code is implemented, or the factors leading up to it).... For me, the special characters simply broke one day. I opened bookends, updated, and suddenly they didn't work anymore. I updated again after speaking with Jon and they did work.

Edit: Just saw the iCloud sync thing... I do not keep my files in iCloud Drive in a folder I created, but use the built in sync of Bookends, as recommended by the dev.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thanks for this information.

Please download 14.1 again. There were some problems we fixed (nothing to do with accented characters) in a silent update within a few hours of its release. You can download it here

https://www.sonnysoftware.com/download/download.html

Jon
Sonny Software