minor quibbles: window positioning & double click list e

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
ozean

minor quibbles: window positioning & double click list e

Post by ozean »

First: great upgrade & great forum!

My problems:
  • I am keeping the database list window maximized on my secondary display. If I close it or close the database and then reopen it, the window appears in the same size but the upper edge is now in the mid-section of the screen to that the lower part of the list window is below the lower edge of the screen.
  • double clicking on list entries in the list window does not open the reference view of the entry in a reliable way. I often have to quadruple click to open it.
Two questions:
  • Is it somehow possible to do a search & replace in the database file? The search fields in Bookends do not have a replace function, and if I open the database in TextWrangler the format does not really lend itself to be treated with grep search & replace operations. Implementing grep search & replace in Bookends would be awesome!
  • Would it somehow be possible to import endnote connection files? I have those for a the few German universities/libraries that support them, but I don't have any import filters for Bookends Z39.50 access for German universities/libraries…
Jon
Site Admin

Re: minor quibbles: window positioning & double click li

Post by Jon »

ozean wrote:My problems:
  • I am keeping the database list window maximized on my secondary display. If I close it or close the database and then reopen it, the window appears in the same size but the upper edge is now in the mid-section of the screen to that the lower part of the list window is below the lower edge of the screen.
  • double clicking on list entries in the list window does not open the reference view of the entry in a reliable way. I often have to quadruple click to open it.
I'll have to think about point #1. Unfortunately, I don't have a set up here that lets me test it.

Is the View Formatted window open? If so, it may be that the delay in displaying the formatted reference is causing Bookends to think the second click is a discrete click. I'm not sure how to avoid this. Not the greatest solution, but the Show Reference button at the bottom of the window always works with one click, of course.
Two questions:
  • Is it somehow possible to do a search & replace in the database file? The search fields in Bookends do not have a replace function, and if I open the database in TextWrangler the format does not really lend itself to be treated with grep search & replace operations. Implementing grep search & replace in Bookends would be awesome!
  • Would it somehow be possible to import endnote connection files? I have those for a the few German universities/libraries that support them, but I don't have any import filters for Bookends Z39.50 access for German universities/libraries…
Bookends has a Global Change -> Find/Replace that should do what you want. It doesn't have grep, but does allow SQL and Regex searches (not with automatic replace) if you are into that.

Bookends can't read EndNote connection files. But the same info can possibly entered into a Bookends filter...

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Re: minor quibbles: window positioning & double click li

Post by ozean »

Jon wrote: Is the View Formatted window open? If so, it may be that the delay in displaying the formatted reference is causing Bookends to think the second click is a discrete click. I'm not sure how to avoid this. Not the greatest solution, but the Show Reference button at the bottom of the window always works with one click, of course.
Yes, the View Formatted part of the window is open. Double clicking with the View Formatted part closed works as expected, though I need to keep that part open…
Jon wrote: Bookends has a Global Change -> Find/Replace that should do what you want. It doesn't have grep, but does allow SQL and Regex searches (not with automatic replace) if you are into that.
erm… well, you're right, of course. *blushes*
ozean

Post by ozean »

hmm, too bad – it seems I cannot do what I hoped I could: in the user3 field, which I use for translator, I wrongly entered _a lot_ of names, however, all in the format: "firstname lastname", instead of "lastname, firstname" (without the quotes). I was hoping I could exchange these positions automatically with a find & replace operation. Grep would be able to accomplish this nicely…

:(