reference display and importing from .7x

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
danzac

reference display and importing from .7x

Post by danzac »

Hi Jon. I have chosen in preferences the reference display, but it will only open and view my database in list display.
second, i noticed some other had trouble importing, I did as well. I had more than a few references that had duplicate BibTex keys, and while importing, v.8 would notice it, ask me to change it, but then get an error (sorry I can't recall what the error message said). Once I opened v.7x and fixed all the duplicate unique ID's, the importing was fine.
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hm, setting Reference view works for me. Try removing Preferences and then resetting it -- that might fix it.

As for the duplicate keys -- set BibTeX Preferences so that it automatically appends a letter to the key to make it unique. This saves a lot of hassle.

Jon
Sonny Software
danzac

reference view still doesn't want to work

Post by danzac »

Hi Jon. I tried flipping it back to list view. Now something else funny is happening, despite the fact that it will not open in Reference view, the Preferences will not go off of Reference View. If I swictch to List view and close preferences, I go back and its on reference view again.. Curious.
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
Jon
Site Admin

Re: reference view still doesn't want to work

Post by Jon »

danzac wrote:Hi Jon. I tried flipping it back to list view. Now something else funny is happening, despite the fact that it will not open in Reference view, the Preferences will not go off of Reference View. If I swictch to List view and close preferences, I go back and its on reference view again.. Curious.
Try trashing your Preferences and see if it works, now. Setting Reference view works for me...

Jon
Sonny Software
danzac

Preferences fixed

Post by danzac »

Trashing my preferences worked, thanks. I have a new question, slightly related. I am trying to make a 'Bookends package' for SBL, making more adjustments to the Formatter. I am wondering if it is possible for me to distribute my preferences file to those interested. I noticed when I trashed them, I had to add my serial # again. Will this be a problem if people used my preference file? Thanks, Danny
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Preferences fixed

Post by Jon »

danzac wrote:I am trying to make a 'Bookends package' for SBL, making more adjustments to the Formatter. I am wondering if it is possible for me to distribute my preferences file to those interested. I noticed when I trashed them, I had to add my serial # again. Will this be a problem if people used my preference file? Thanks, Danny
It would be a big problem! You must not distribute your Preferences. You are free (no, encouraged) to distribute formats and filters. But sharing Preferences is the same as giving away your serial number. Please do NOT do that.

Jon
Sonny Softwaer