About the Import Filter Manager...

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Rob

About the Import Filter Manager...

Post by Rob »

Just got Bookends 8 yesterday. Very nice overall. Confused about the Import Filter Manager. I check filters I would like to have appear in the Internet Search list -- but they don't appear. I can uncheck filters and have them cease to appear, but not so the other way around. What am I missing here?
ozean

Post by ozean »

(1) You have to close the Internet Search window and reopen it after enabling filters in the Import Filters window otherwise they won't be recognized.

(2) Just to be sure: only those import filters that have the Internet Search Ability turned on allow internet searches (you can enable and disable the search ability in the fourth tab of the edit filters window). You can see if Internet Seach is turned on for a filter if it's name is displayed in italics in the Import Filters Window.

(3) If you know all this and it happens nonetheless: if you
- disable a known working internet search capable filter
- close the Internet Search window, reopen it
- re-enable the known wokring internet search capable filter
- close the Internet Search window, reopen it
does it still not appear? That would certainly be some kind of bug (and it doesn't happen for me…)
Rob

Post by Rob »

(2) Just to be sure: only those import filters that have the Internet Search Ability turned on allow internet searches (you can enable and disable the search ability in the fourth tab of the edit filters window).

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks! That's what I didn't realize. Very helpful.
I assumed I was dealing with fully worked-out pre-sets and that I could activate these pre-sets (as well as DE-activate them) in the "manager" window.
I've now taken the several extra steps to get checked sites on the search window. That's progress.
Now, though, I find that what I thought were unchecked presets weren't exactly "presets," meaning that I still must figure out how to connect, site by site. (Has the Bookends community found a convenient way to share the correct URLs, I wonder?)

-- Rob
[/b]
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Rob wrote:Now, though, I find that what I thought were unchecked presets weren't exactly "presets," meaning that I still must figure out how to connect, site by site. (Has the Bookends community found a convenient way to share the correct URLs, I wonder?)
The filter names that appear in italics are indeed presets. You need do nothing more to use them. Those that are in plain text are not "internet search-ready", and are generally meant to be used in conjunction with a browser (you do the search in the browser, and then download the references to a file for import, or copy to the clipboard for import).

There is a section in this forum to request formats and filters from other users. Of course, we would very much like it if people would "donate" their formats and filters to us so we can include them in updates.

Jon
Sonny Software