How to do citation as "Authors (Date)"

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Massachusetts user

How to do citation as "Authors (Date)"

Post by Massachusetts user »

I am trying out the demo version of the program, and have been back and forth in the user guide and all the menus I can find within the program -- but I cannot figure this out.

How do I get the program to regularly cite in: "Authors (Date)" format? I find a nice set of menus and dialogs for customizing bibliographies, but I see nothing comparable for in-text citations.

What I want is, e.g.

"As Smith (2004) has noted, the results of Xu (1997b) are very interesting, especially in the context of Jones et al. (2000)."

Thanks for any help!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi MA user,

Use the % symbol at the beginning of the temporary citatons, like this:

As Smith {%Smith, 2004, #343243} has noted,...

If you use this sort of citation *exclusively*, there is a setting in Preferences that tells Bookend to precede ALL temporary citations it makes with the % symbol. If not, type it in yourself when the temporary citation is inserted in the word processor document.

Jon
Sonny Software
Massachusetts user

Jon wrote:Hi MA user,

Use the % symbol at the beginning of the temporary citatons, like this:

As Smith {%Smith, 2004, #343243} has noted,...

If you use this sort of citation *exclusively*, there is a setting in Preferences that tells Bookend to precede ALL temporary citations it makes with the % symbol. If not, type it in yourself when the temporary citation is inserted in the word processor document.

Jon
Sonny Software
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I tried this, but when I scan a document it gives me just the year. No author, no parentheses, no spaces -- just the year! What am I missing, or what have I done wrong?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Perhaps the format you are using doesn't specify that final citations should be surrounded by parentheses?

If that's not the problem, please contact me directly and we'll figure it out.

Jon
Sonny Software
Massachusetts user

I think I've figured out what's throwing me for a loop by examining your e-mail carefully. Tell me if I've gotten to the bottom of this.

In EndNote, if you want to write "As Smith (2001) has shown", you type "As" in Word (if that's what you're using), then go to EndNote for the reference, then type "has shown". The EndNote fieldcode, when you scan the text, turns into "Author (date)" if that's how you've set it up.

Is it the case that in Bookends you need to type the author's name into your document directly, i.e. type "As <b>Smith</b>", then go to Bookend for the reference -- coding it as date only -- then continue with "has shown"?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Massachusetts user wrote:Is it the case that in Bookends you need to type the author's name into your document directly, i.e. type "As <b>Smith</b>", then go to Bookend for the reference -- coding it as date only -- then continue with "has shown"?
Yes. Bookends won't touch anything outside of the {}. So you enter the name yourself, then the temporary citation with the preceding %:

As noted by Smith {%Smith, 2005, #454543}...

becomes

As noted by Smith (2005)...

Jon
Sonny Software
Massachusetts user

OK, thank you for your help! I understand now.