"Database Engine Error"

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Massachusetts user

"Database Engine Error"

Post by Massachusetts user »

I just purchased the program. It ran nicely in its demo mode, with the 50-reference limitation, but now I am trying it with my 10,000-entry database (converted from Endnote).

I am getting numerous instances of "Database Engine Error: Internal Error". Right now I have in front of me a slightly new version:

Database Engine Error: Inventory corrupted for index "%S"

That occurred after I changed "author" information in one record and closed the window with that record.

I have increased the "Internal Cache" setting, as suggested in the user guide. Right now it is at 40MB, in case that makes a difference.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

40 MB is plenty, I think. I'll contact you directly about the database problems you are having.

Jon
Sonny Software
stuartr

database error crashes

Post by stuartr »

I'm having similar difficulties and getting the same error messages but I'm using far fewer references. Also, after dragging the bookends icon from finder to the dock, when I click on the icon in the dock a whole new bookends dock icon appears. Is this me or bookends?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: database error crashes

Post by Jon »

stuartr wrote:I'm having similar difficulties and getting the same error messages but I'm using far fewer references. Also, after dragging the bookends icon from finder to the dock, when I click on the icon in the dock a whole new bookends dock icon appears. Is this me or bookends?
Please download Bookends again, recreate your database, and see if the messages stop.

As for the second issue -- do you have more than one copy of Bookends on your hard drive? I haven't heard (or seen) the behavior you describe.

Jon
Sonny Software
Matthias

same problem

Post by Matthias »

I am currently testing the bookends demo and I am having the same problem. The error message "Database Engine Error: Inventory corrupted for index "%S" occurs when I try to invoke bookends by pressing the word menu buttons "search" or "scan". The issue is reproducible.

@Jon: I will download the demo again. Yet, I am not exactly sure what I have to do in order to "recreate my database". Will I have to discard all databases create new ones from scratch and import all references again?
Any advice is welcome.

Apart from this issue I like the programme very much. It is very handy and Mac-like in its appearance. Congratulations!

Greetings from Germany,
Matthias
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Matthias,

That message simply means an index is bad. No need to download Bookends again -- rebuilding the index (Database Maintenance) will fix it.

We recently found that in some cases deleting many references at once can cause this to happen, and are working on it. But in our tests it does not damage the database, just the index, which is easily repaired. (Of course, always keep good backups.)

And thank you for the kind words.

Jon
Sonny Software

Post by Guest »

Jon wrote:
That message simply means an index is bad. No need to download Bookends again -- rebuilding the index (Database Maintenance) will fix it.

We recently found that in some cases deleting many references at once can cause this to happen, and are working on it. But in our tests it does not damage the database, just the index, which is easily repaired. (Of course, always keep good backups.)
Thanks a lot, that was a simple solution, indeed. It worked perfectly!

Matthias