copy plain text URL

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.

Add a "Copy plain text URL of citation" to the Edit menu?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:53 pm

Yes, I would find this useful
86%
Yes, I support it in principle but wouldn't make use of it
No votes
Doesn't matter to me either way
14%
No, don't waste the developer's time with this
No votes

Total votes: 7

danzac

copy plain text URL

Post by danzac »

To take full advantage of the great new hyperlinking system by making the URL's available in programs that can only handle plain text, I want to request that an edit menu item be added that copies the plain text URL of the citation to the clipboard. If "copy plain text URL" can be confused with the URL field, JoeWiz suggested "Copy Local Link to Reference".

This plain text URL will make the hyperlinking to Bookends increasingly useful for making links in apps that can't handle the live link. The bookends URL can be highlighted and opened with the Services menu (or Quicksilver).

It also increases the usability of Bookends URL's in DEVONthink as well. DEVONthink can attach URL's in the metadata of any file or folder (in the info window), but as with URL's, they are plain text. With an easier way to copy the plain text URL of Bookends citations, URL's can not only be pasted as hyperlinks in DT text, but also attached to the metadata of files and folders.

Thanks.
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

In the next update, holding down the Option key will cause the corresponding menu to change to Edit -> Copy Hypertext Link As Text (or Shift-Option-Command-L). This text link can then be pasted into any application that accepts text.

Jon
Sonny Software
bluloo

Post by bluloo »

Nice!

thanks Jon.
danzac

Post by danzac »

Sweet! Thanks Jon, this is very good. It makes the system much more usable.
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
ozean

Post by ozean »

Clever way to keep UI clutter down. Now, I only have to be clever enough to remember this…
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Right, that's always a problem. Another solution would be to make the Copy Hypertext List a hierarchical menu -- one choice as link, the other as text. Would people prefer that?

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

Personally, I won’t have a problem with the “cleaner UIâ€
danzac

Post by danzac »

The hierarchical menu was what I suggested in my 'post 9.2 requests' thread, but I also mentioned additional menu items under these sub-menus.

i personally prefer them in a sub-menu. That way they are seen no matter what.
thecritic

Post by thecritic »

Jon wrote:Right, that's always a problem. Another solution would be to make the Copy Hypertext List a hierarchical menu -- one choice as link, the other as text. Would people prefer that?
I tend to dislike hierarchical menus of this sort. However, if you do decide to implement one, how about a copy formatted command that doesn't switch to another app? :-)
danzac

Post by danzac »

thecritic wrote:how about a copy formatted command that doesn't switch to another app? :-)
Definitely. That was one of my post 9.2 requests.
joewiz

Post by joewiz »

danzac wrote:
thecritic wrote:how about a copy formatted command that doesn't switch to another app? :-)
Definitely. That was one of my post 9.2 requests.
Me too!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Right now, if you hold the Option key down when you Copy Formatted you switch to your linked app but there is no automatic paste. In the next update there will be no switch.

Jon
Sonny Software
danzac

Post by danzac »

Just so I am understanding this correctly:

command-Y = copies citation, switches to linked app, and pastes it
command-option-Y = copies citation (no switch)

Is this correct?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

No, this is for Copy Formatted.

Command-K = switch and paste
Option-Command-K = just copy

Jon
Sonny Software
danzac

Post by danzac »

Can it also be incorporated for the "copy selected citation" please? This is useful for those of us who begin the writing process in DT or Scrivener and then move the text to Mellel. Then a quick action in Mellel will convert the citations in delimitors to Mellel-style citations.

So

command-Y = Copy Selected Citation
command-option-Y = Copy Selected Citation (no switch)
Command-K = Copy Selected Formatted
Option-Command-K = Copy Selected Formatted (no switch)

Danny