Remove a reference from a group without deleting reference?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
srl

Remove a reference from a group without deleting reference?

Post by srl »

I added a reference to a group by mistake, and would like to remove it from the group without deleting the reference. Haven't been able to find the answer in the User Guide so far. What am I missing?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Click on the group, the click on the reference you want to remove from the group. Bookends will ask you if you want to remove it from the group, click OK.

This works with static groups only, of course.

Jon
Sonny Software
srl

Re: Remove a reference from a group without deleting ...

Post by srl »

Jon wrote:Click on the group, the click on the reference you want to remove from the group. Bookends will ask you if you want to remove it from the group, click OK.
Thanks for responding so quickly!

I tried what you suggested in the catalogue list view, but Bookends didn't ask if I wanted to remove the reference from the group. (Single-clicking highlighted the reference on the list; double-clicking opened the record.) Is there another step besides clicking on the reference?

Susie
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I, um, forgot to mention that you have to press the Delete key (or Edit -> Clear).

Jon
Sonny Software
srl

Re: Remove a reference from a group without deleting ...

Post by srl »

Jon wrote:I, um, forgot to mention that you have to press the Delete key (or Edit -> Clear).
Thanks, that worked!

Susie
nickharambee

Re: Remove a reference from a group without deleting reference?

Post by nickharambee »

I am following this procedure in 13.2 and the only option is to delete from the library, not remove from group. Has the procedure for removing a reference from a static group changed?

Thanks,

Nick
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You have to click on the static group first, then click on the reference in that group you want to remove.

Jon
Sonny Software
nickharambee

Post by nickharambee »

Yes, I'm doing this. Selecting the static group in the sidebar, so that only the references from the group show, and then selecting the reference and then Edit->Clear.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I suspect you're selecting a smart group. But if you're sure you're not, please contact tech support and send your library.

Jon
Sonny Software
alanterra

Post by alanterra »

I have reported elsewhere that sometimes when trying to delete a reference from a static group, Bookends will instead say that it is going to delete the reference from the catalog. I haven't tested it to see if that is what Bookends would really do. I solved the problem by quitting and relaunching Bookends, and I have been wondering if I am the only user with this intermittent bug. I wonder if nickharambee is running into the same bug. Nick -- is this what is going on? If you quit and relaunch Bookends, does the bug resolve itself?
nickharambee

Post by nickharambee »

It was definitely a static group, and yes, restarting the application has removed the issue, for now at least!
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

Yes, I also encounter this issue.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If anyone reading this thread can figure out what series of steps triggers this, please post here or send the information to tech support.

Jon
Sonny Software
joao

Post by joao »

Getting this issue too. Whether using the delete key or the menu option. Only started with this new version.
Edit: Should have read the thread more fully. Restarting Bookends solves the problem.
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

As a comment for consideration: The method to remove and add references to groups is far more intuitive on the iPad version. Indeed, having played first with shuffling references among different groups on the iPad, I was looking for the companion folder icon on the macOS version. Eventually, after finding "Add to Group" but not "Remove from Group" in the context menu, I had to come here to find out what to do (and I was hesitant to hit delete as an intuitive approach for fear to remove trash the reference entirely).

--
JJW
--
JJW