Problems importing pubmed articles

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
kga1978

Problems importing pubmed articles

Post by kga1978 »

Hi,

I have recently had problems importing articles from pubmed via drag'n'drop. I have tried this one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entre ... h=17339426

I change to "Summary" view and drop onto Bookends - normally it will accept the reference. However, now I get the error "the link dropped onto Bookends does not appear....".

Any ideas what is going on? I have made drops from both Camino and Safari, but neither work.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It looks like PubMed changed the contents of the drag. I'll take care of it when I get back to the States and do a silent update by the end of the week.

Jon
Sonny Software
kga1978

Post by kga1978 »

Eeehhhhmmmm 5:51 I post the question - 5:52 Jon answers the question.... And comes with a solution...!

See this is what I can proper support ;)

Thank once again!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Pure chance -- I was just checking in before going to dinner!

Jon
Sonny Software
kga1978

Post by kga1978 »

Haha, ya sure, and answering my second message only two minutes after I posted it :lol:

All I can say is that I am impressed - keep up the good work 8)
jdien

silent update?

Post by jdien »

I've just run into the same problem and am looking forward to the fix. By "silent update" what do you mean? How will we know when it is ready?

Thanks!

Joe
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'll post it on this thread.

In the meantime, you can still use easily get PubMed data with either (1) Internet Search (which I highly recommend over a browser in any case) or (2) use your browser, display the results as MEDLINE, and copy the browser page (import into Bookends from the clipboard).

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi all,

We have made a silent update to Bookends that should take care of the "drag and drop link from PubMed" issue. For those affected, please download Bookends 9.2.2 again. For those not affected, don't bother.

Jon
Sonny Software
jhbarker

cannot drag Pubmed links to Bookends (still)

Post by jhbarker »

I updated with the silent 9.2.2 update and still get nothing when I drag the link from a PubMed citation to BE. I get the brief green plus sign but then no confirmation of import and no import. Also, when I try to import from the clipboard in the Pubmed format, I get blank references . . ..
This used to work . . ..
Am I doing something wrong?

thanks in advance.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

What browser are you using? Safari works fine. I've had one report that Firefox doesn't.

As for the clipboard, PubMed added one difficulty. It now places a tab character in the display between PMID and -. So get rid of that, use the popup menu at the bottom of the browser display to send to Text. This will also display on screen, but without the tab. Copy that.

Jon
Sonny Software
jhbarker

Post by jhbarker »

Clipboard import now works (thanks to the extra step you describe).

Still no go on dragging from links in Safari 2.0.4. This is now true on three macs (an intel iMac, Mac pro, and macbook).

Does the Pubmed reference have to be "abstract" view or "abstractplus"?

thanks
jason
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If you are actually looking at the reference it doesn't matter, and you should be dragging the proxy icon. If that's now working, send me a screen snap of the drag you are doing.

Jon
Sonny Software