downloading from JStor

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Gerben

downloading from JStor

Post by Gerben »

Since some time, JStor articles are made available as text searchable PDFs which is a great improvement. Of course my db is filled with articles downloaded from JStor that are still in the old, non-searchable, format. I would like to replace these slowly, at the moment i just do it when i encounter an article i want to use.

Question: right now one can drag the download URL from JStor to a BE ref in list view and BE will download and attach it. This works great. But is it also possible to do this the other way around: tell BE to look up the PDF for a reference in the db on the JStor website? (if one imports found citations from JStor in a db there is always a link put in the URL field which i suppose could be used).

This would save a lot of time: instead of having to look up each article again on JStor one can do it from within BE. I realize this is a bit specific but i think many people face the question of replacing old JStor PDFs.

Best,
Gerben
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

AFAIK, there is no api for searching JSTOR programmatically. Do you know of one?

Jon
Sonny Software
joewiz

Post by joewiz »

This would be really useful to me too.

I know JSTOR has opened its search results to google, so perhaps it there is an API afterall.

Take a look at JSTOR's description of its XML gateway and their contact information.
Gerben

Post by Gerben »

Can't help here i am afraid, don't even know what an api is.. :oops:

Gerben
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

According to a thread I was told about on the Sente forum, the SRU gateway hasn't functioned for some months.

Jon
Sonny Software
joewiz

Post by joewiz »

Jon wrote:According to a thread I was told about on the Sente forum, the SRU gateway hasn't functioned for some months.
Perhaps the contact info link above would provide a direct answer about linking into JSTOR. But having to jump through the hoops of institutional subscriptions I bet it would really be hard.