JSTOR

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Pretzel

JSTOR

Post by Pretzel »

Anyone having trouble importing from JSTOR?

I get the following error message:

"[h1] Failed to initialize to"

Would appreciate some help.

Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The JSTOR filter is intended to be used for files downloaded form JSTOR, it's not able to do a direct search. Watch for the next update with regard to this...

Jon
Sonny Software
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

Jon wrote:The JSTOR filter is intended to be used for files downloaded form JSTOR, it's not able to do a direct search. Watch for the next update with regard to this...

Jon
Sonny Software
Wonderful, Jon! Thanks.
joewiz

Post by joewiz »

Jon wrote:The JSTOR filter is intended to be used for files downloaded form JSTOR, it's not able to do a direct search. Watch for the next update with regard to this...
Wow, I sure will. /drool
jeremydouglass

Post by jeremydouglass »

JSTOR direct searching someday? Ditto daiyi's /drool
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It's in 10.1.1 (please see the Read Me, which always lists new features).

Jon
Sonny Software
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

jeremydouglass wrote:JSTOR direct searching someday? Ditto daiyi's /drool
Already a drool pool. This feature is absolutely fantastic; now I suppose that to access our local library databases it is necessary to ask them for help with the configuration. I tried with VPN the other day but without any luck.

In any case, thanks again, Jon.
gke

Post by gke »

Jon, could you, perhaps brief us on the situation with JSTOR? As I understand from this post we would be able to search JSTOR through the online search function with 10.1.1? It doesn't work on me, though - I get a consistent "Reply Empty" message when I perfrom a search for an article. I then tried to do it the old way, by going to the JSTOR website and saving the necessary citations, but subsequently was unable to import the reference into BE, whether from clipboard, file, or e-mail - I steadfastedly got the message "Done. No references were imported".
ozean

Post by ozean »

Just tried the JSTOR search again – works without problems here. Do other searches via Bookends work without problems for you?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

To access JSTOR directly you must have institutional access (i.e. your institution must have a license) *and* you must be searching from a university site (the ip address must be valid to JSTOR) -- using a VPN should work, too.

The new JSTOR filter won't work with the data downloaded from the browser. You can either reconfigure it to do so, or email me and I'll send you the old one that worked with the browser download.

Jon
Sonny Software
gke

Post by gke »

Just sent you an e-mail. Perhaps this is not a purely individual need, though. I have access to JSTOR not through a direct subscription by my institution, but through a portal, in this case the website of our national library, which allows subscribers to be relegated to the JSTOR website using their subscription. I am not sure how common this way os access is, but perhaps there are other users who use a similar form of access and therefore have to rely on the browser-download or e-mail functions to import citations.
Gerben

Post by Gerben »

Jon wrote:The new JSTOR filter won't work with the data downloaded from the browser.
It does not work when you try to import a file but it does work when importing from the clipboard.

However, if I do an online search I cannot import the found records, drag and drop does not work nor does the "copy to" box dialogue. I have direct institutional access.

Gerben
gke

Post by gke »

Gerben, which citation format did you use for importing from the clipboard? I tried all options available, but none of them worked, even had the citation posted to my e-mail and then copied to the clipboard from there, but all to no avail, although I indeed remembered this was the way it worked before.
nicka

Post by nicka »

Not sure if this is a related or a different problem.
I can search JStor from within Bookends, but selecting a reference and then copying it to the open database fails silently. (I've tried with a new, empty database, as well as my main one.)
Any ideas?
hrashid

JSTOR Filter

Post by hrashid »

Just to echo gke, even on campus we're routed through a portal page to get to JSTOR, so I can't do the direct search, I have to export the file and then import it.