Big Home run

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
bluloo

Big Home run

Post by bluloo »

Hi Jon,

Just a brief note to say that the latest update is a big home run. Syncing is a godsend!

Congratulations on more great work.

:) :)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi bluloo,

Thanks a lot. It's now my favorite feature, too (although I'm kind of fickle and tend to think the latest thing is always the coolest! :-) ).

I'll be interested in hearing how people are using it (single, lab groups, classes, etc.).

Jon
Sonny Software
bluloo

Post by bluloo »

I use it to sync my laptop and desktop machines. I am a PhD student and often use whatever machine is handy. It makes being mobile and being prepared much easier.

thanks again.

This will be a big boon to users. IMO, today, apps that manage information and have the ability to sync, are way ahead of the pack.

Hopefully it will also attract new users. The update has received nice reviews/comments at MacUpdate, btw.
neuromama

Thank you!

Post by neuromama »

The syncing works great! I had some problems syncing with my database on idisk at work, but i think there's a firewall issue. At home and at a local coffee shop it worked really well!

Thank you so much!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Thanks a lot.

Note that you can use an iDisk, but in my experience it is dog slow.

Jon
Sonny Software
neuromama

Post by neuromama »

First, when I tried to sync directly to idisk online it took about 15 minutes using wifi at a local coffee shop (I don't know their connection speed).

Next, I used the system preferences to put idisk on automatic sync with my computer. Then I synced the one on my idisk image with my local database. It compared the 6000+ reference databases and added 3 new references and updated 74 references in about 30 seconds.

I couldn't get direct idisk syncing to work at all at the lab, but i haven't tried the automatic idisk sync yet. If that doesn't work, i may just use a pen drive to keep in sync.

Either way, I love it!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

We recommend syncing through a third database, BTW. That is, you sunc your work db to a db on a server, and then sync your home db with the db on that server. This isn't necessary, but works particularly well.

Jon
Sonny Software
joewiz

Post by joewiz »

Jon wrote:We recommend syncing through a third database, BTW. That is, you sunc your work db to a db on a server, and then sync your home db with the db on that server. This isn't necessary, but works particularly well.
Interesting - I read through the use scenarios in the guide for more info, and I'm starting to understand this notion of a 3rd database. Could you suggest some ways one might sync to a server? (Must the server be connected to first via Finder > Go > Connect to Server, or is SFTP possible?)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

As long as Bookends can resolve the http address I think it should work.

Jon
Sonny Software
hrashid

Post by hrashid »

Just want to add my kudos as well.

I haven't tried the sync'ing feature as I use ChronSync and an external drive to help sync attachments. However, I'm always amazed by the little tweaks that I didn't know I needed until they were there. The 2 JSTOR filters are working the hardest for me now.