Import problem

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jfdarsey

Import problem

Post by jfdarsey »

I'm suddenly having trouble importing references from EBSCOhost into Bookends 7.75. I've created a filter for EBSCO's Communication and Mass Media Complete, and I've used it successfully a number of times, but lately, Bookends "unexpectedly quits" when I try to import. I've saved the file as a text file.

Though I haven't kept scrupulous records, it's possible that I've done no imports since I upgraded from Bookends 7.73. It's also possible, even likely, that Panther has upgraded itself since the last import. I'm now on 10.3.5.

Any insights? Suggestions?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Unexpected quits are almost always do to internal database corruption. The universal solution is to File -> Database Maintenance -> Rebuild. First try the Keep User Data option (retains database-specific settings, like field labels, window position, groups, etc.). If that fails (because some setting is corrupted, for example), do a complete Rebuild.

Jon
Sonny Software
jfdarsey

Import problem: other suggestions?

Post by jfdarsey »

Thanks for the rebuilding hints, but I've tried both options, and I still get an "unexpected quit" when I try to import references into the newly rebuilt database.

Other suggestions?

--JD
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's odd (rebuilding usually works). OK, it's also possible the Bookends Preferences file is damaged. Please remove it and relaunch Bookends (you'll need your serial number handy).

What happens if you try to import into a freshly created database?

If none of these solutions work, please send your database (stuffed, please) and the file you are trying to import to

support@sonnysoftware.com

If you are using a custom filter, please send that, too.

Jon
Sonny Software

Post by Guest »

I'd be interested to hear what was the outcome here. Was the problem resolved?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Anonymous wrote:I'd be interested to hear what was the outcome here. Was the problem resolved?
Yes, it was. The problem was that the import filter was set to use "any valid tag" as the end-of-field delimiter and, mistakenly, it also indicated that the keywords were separated by carriage returns, when in fact semicolons were used. This error caused Bookends to read through the entire file thinking it was all one reference, and of course that won't work.

Using "any valid tag" requires a bit more thought than the other options, because you have to make sure you deal with all possible tags (either import or ignore).

In any case, the problem was easily fixed by changing the end-of-field delimiter to a carriage return followed by 2 capital letters (which in this case was the best option).

Jon
Sonny Software