Diacritics in author names

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
hendrix

Diacritics in author names

Post by hendrix »

Hello

Maybe this has been dealt with before, but I haven't been able to find it. My apologies if that is the case.

I've got a reference in Bookends whose authors are Encarna Guillén and Antoni Vilà. When I paste the reference in Scrivener it looks like this: {Guillén and Vilà, 2007, #35508}. I've exported it as rtf and it looks the same.

When Bookends scans the rtf document it says there's an unmatched citation GuillÈn and Vil‡ 2007 35508. If I search for it it obviously doesn't find it.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards

Manuel Aguilar Hendrickson
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hm, this sounds like a problem I recently dealt with. Please download Bookends 10.1.4 again and see if it's fixed. If not, please contact me directly.

Jon
Sonny Software
danzac

Post by danzac »

I've had this problem too, though I can't remember how I dealt with it. Please post here to give us an update on the problem.
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
hendrix

Post by hendrix »

Hello

I'm running 10.1.4, and it has happened both before and after rebuilding the database.

Regards

Manuel Aguilar Hendrickson
ozean

Post by ozean »

hendrix wrote:I'm running 10.1.4, and it has happened both before and after rebuilding the database.
But did you actually re-download 10.1.4 and try it? Sometimes Jon makes so-called “silent updatesâ€
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes, what ozean said...

Jon
Sonny Software
danzac

Post by danzac »

Now that Bookends is using Sparkle (which rocks by the way) why can't the silent updates be numbered now? It takes the user little effort to hit the install button.
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It's more involved than that,. Silent updates are performed when we make minor changes that affect a small number of people. We perform numbered updates pretty frequently (every 6-8 weeks or so), so the silent updates are incorporated into the major ones quickly.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

To those following this thread, I've modified the scanning code so that it will work with RTF files with accented characters saved from Scrivener. This will be in the next update. If anyone else is having this problem, the temporary workaround is to open the rtf file in Word or NWE/NWP and then save it again as RTF. Bookends will scan that file with no difficulty.

Jon
Sonny Software