Footnote In-text agnostic

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jmckeown

Footnote In-text agnostic

Post by jmckeown »

Is there any way to do temporary citations that do not pre-judge whether the final output format is footnotes or in-text citations?

For footnotes, currently I create a footnote in Mellel and then Bookends Cmd-Y to copy citation. It works, but I would prefer to put citation inline in text and only after Scan would it create footnotes. Is that more a Mellel issue than a Bookends issue?

regards,
John McKeown
John McKeown
jmckeown

Example usage

Post by jmckeown »

For example the same article might in turn be submitted to different publishers - one that wants footnotes, another want in-text citations.

At present the only way I can see of coping with this is to manually copy each footnote's temporary citation into the body text (and delete footnote) or vice-versa if moving from in-text citation version to footnotes version.

Is there a simpler way to do this?

regards,
John
John McKeown
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Bookends doesn't know if a citation is in the body of the text or in a footnote, and in any case how footnotes are implemented is going to be different for each word processor. I suppose that it might be possible for Mellel to do this, but I doubt that RedleX implement a feature such as this (you could ask, of course).

Jon
Sonny Software
danzac

Post by danzac »

John, I and others have requested this from Mellel but the snail's pace of Mellel's development will likely never bring this about. The only word processor I know that does this is on the PC - the Nota Bene suite. I agree it would be a cool feature - but it is entirely a word processor function.
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~