Local PDFs

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
the_DZA

Local PDFs

Post by the_DZA »

Hi all,

A minor query: I like the new find/attach local PDFs function, which I find very useful. However, where the normal process of attaching a PDF to a reference gives you the choice of whether or not to copy the PDF to the 'Attachments' folder (I never do this as I have my own folder structure for local PDFs according to topic), using the find/attach function copies the PDFs to the 'attachments' folder by default, thereby duplicating files. Is there a way to change this somehow? A preference or a setting I don't know about?

Many thanks
D
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Local PDFs

Post by Jon »

Hi,

There is no option not to copy the file. Note that there are advantages to having Bookends file the pdf for you, including the ability to do Spotlight searches for them inside of Bookends, and the disadvantage of having two copies when hard drives are huge is more psychological than real. But if enough people want that as an option it could be added.

Jon
Sonny Software
jhbarker

Post by jhbarker »

For what it is worth, I would like the option to attach local PDFs to references without copying them.

I am not a programmer, but why could Bookends not search something with Spotlight if it did not 'file' it?

Thanks
Jason
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It's more work to file it than not to, but I think for the vast majority of users the convenience of having the pdfs in one location and being able to to Spotlight searches for them from within Bookends far outweighs the negligible consequence that there are two copies on the hard drive. As I said, if enough people are bothered by this I can add a preference option, so if others would like this, too, please speak up.

Jon
Sonny Software
Gerson

Post by Gerson »

Hi Jon

I'd like the option, please-- I keep several sets of reprints (associated with different projects) in different places, and I have my own organization for them as well.

Thanks
EMG
AsafKeller

Post by AsafKeller »

One reason to have PDFs in other folders is to be able to integrate Bookends with applications like EagleFiler.
If you do offer options for PDF management, perhaps include also the option to delete the original after importing to Bookends' default folder. Thanks.
the_DZA

Post by the_DZA »

On a related but different note, although the "Find Local PDF" function is quite clever, it still gets it wrong more often than not. The dialogue box which pops it with different options to attach, when Bookends can't decide between multiple options, is the obvious solution to this. However there are some occasions when Bookends just gets it wrong, goes ahead and attaches a file. This means that every time it does this automaically (without a dialogue) I now have to open the attachment inspector manually to check if it's the right one.

Would it be possible to have the dialogue box come up every time, just to make sure it's choosing the right one?

Also,

for some reason, my attached PDFs no longer display in the pane: I just get a black screen. Sometimes BE asks me to choose an Adobe Reader (I can't choose Preview) - and then the screen remains black. Any ideas?

THanks
D
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Bookends uses Spotlight for the search, and it works pretty well on Leopard (Tiger not so much). If it finds only one hit it accepts that. I'm reluctant to add another layer for confirm. If enough people want it, though, I suppose it could be a preference option (but adding more preferences isn't something I like, either). I should note that (when not using WebKit to display pdfs) you'll see the pdf that's attached in the list view, and if it's the wrong one you just right-click on it and select "Detach".

The Adobe pdf plugin conflicts with some Bookends pdf functions. I suggest you disable it. If you really want it, update to the latest version. You can also turn off "Use WebKit to display pdfs" in the Bookends list view window.

Jon
Sonny Software
whshep

Post by whshep »

Ditto for me on both copying and local PDF search. I have my own file structure. Local PDF inevitably attaches the wrong file.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Inevitably? I'd reindex Spotlight, then. If that doesn't help, perhaps you should send me a single reference (export it) and the incorrect pdf that it fetches when you attach local pdfs. I'll see if the same occurs for me.

Jon
Sonny Software
the_DZA

Post by the_DZA »

Hi Jon,

Regarding this ongoing thread, I re-indexed spotlight, as you suggested, but Bookends is still attaching incorrect PDFs, or not finding them at all. I'm emailing you now with a reference and PDF that it can't seem to find. I don't know if this will throw any light on the issue, but I still think an obligatory (or at least a preference that allows it) dialogue box will help.

Thanks
Daniel
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Better yet would be a reference and a incorrect pdf that *is* found, which seems to be your major issue.

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. I received your reference and pdf -- Find and Attach Local PDF worked instantly on my Mac and found your pdf. I don't know what OS you are using, but I'm using 10.5 -- Spotlight is much more robust in 10.5 than in 10.4.