Nested folders

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Gerben

Nested folders

Post by Gerben »

I think I asked this before but can't find the post anymore...

Anyway: I would like to suggest some enhancements of the groups view, especially the ability to nest folders in folders (and not only groups in folders).
To give an example: I have a folder called 'France' in which I have multiple groups that deal with migration and resistance. It would be ideal to be able to put those in subfolders. What I do now is name the groups in a clear way (all groups that deal with migration have 'migration' as the first word in the name of the group). This is the only way to organise it clearly visually right now.

Is this useful for others maybe as well?

Gerben
danzac

Re: Nested folders

Post by danzac »

Agreed. I'd also like to see the ability to have 'groups' as part of the limiting options for a smart group, so you can nestle smart groups in a folder that it is associated with, and not have to remember to always do it via virtual groups
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
jhbarker

Post by jhbarker »

I agree with the above suggestions.
Gerben

Post by Gerben »

Jon, just wanted to ask, is there any chance this will arrive in the (foreseeable) future? Or is it not in the cards?

I am considering to start using Papers in addition to Bookends so I can used nested collections but of course would prefer to stick to BE and one program.

Best,
Gerben
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I don't know. It's something I revisited about a month ago, and it's on the list of things that would be "nice to have". But it's challenging to integrate unlimited nested folders with all the other features in the groups list, as well as maintaining backward compatibility. Sorry I can't be more explicit.

Jon
Sonny Software
Gerben

Post by Gerben »

That's quite explicit already, thanks. I understand this might be pretty complicated to implement and that without some strong user demand it's not high on the list. FWYW, I personally think it would be much more than "nice to have" and really makes a difference with managing refs.

But I stop bugging you with it now... :wink:

G
oliverio

Post by oliverio »

I personally think it would be much more than "nice to have" and really makes a difference with managing refs.
I agree. I personally had switched to sente just because of that. Now I'm considering 'switching back' to BE because Sente (with my old iBook G4) is quite slow and crashes. :roll: