Make bibliography in LaTeX with 8.03

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
nike

Make bibliography in LaTeX with 8.03

Post by nike »

Hi,

I'm trying to export some references as a bibliography to a LaTeX-document (TeXShop) but all umlauts aren't displayed correctly. That's what it looks like:

J?§hnichen, Traugott/Friedrich, Norbert: ‚ÄûKrisen, Konflikte und Konsequenzen ‚Äì Die ‚Äû68er Bewegung‚Äú und der Protestantismus an der Ruhr-Universit?§t Bochum‚Äú, in: \emph{Westf?§lische Forschungen }1998, S. 127--155.

I guess it's due to the UTF-8 encoding, but I can't find a way to get it exported correctly. What can I do?? Perhaps anyone has a decent workflow for working with bookends in combination with TeXShop?

Thank you!

Annika
nike

Post by nike »

Even if I enable the option in the prefs to convert special characters to their TeX equivalents, it doesn't work: the TeX console tells me:

! Text line contains an invalid character.
l.170 ^^@
Aust, Stefan: \emph{Der Baader-Meinhof-Komplex,} Hamburg 1997.

:cry:
The umlauts are converted correctly to their TeX equivanlent now, but the quotation marks don't. They should be german quotation marks „ and “ (TeX: \glqq and \grqq)
ozean

Post by ozean »

Are you using Bookends 8.0.3 ? To me this sounds like a bug that has been solved a while ago, when non-ASCII chars were wrongly replaced by two Unicode entities…
nike

Post by nike »

ozean wrote:Are you using Bookends 8.0.3 ? To me this sounds like a bug that has been solved a while ago, when non-ASCII chars were wrongly replaced by two Unicode entities…
Yes, this is Bookends 8.0.3! :-(
Perhaps this bug was reintroduced with the latest update?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

I'm not sure what the problem is. Does Bookends *not* convert German quote marks to the correct BibTeX replacement (,, and ''), or is it that you want them converted to something else: \glqq and \grqq ??

Please answer here, and send me a reference exported from Bookends (so I can import it here) and the BibTeX output you *would* like.

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

Hoping not to add more confusion:

If I read his example correctly, quotation marks aren't the only character that is affected.

For example "J?§hnichen" should probably read "Jähnichen"…
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

At this point there are too many variable here for me to figure out what is going on. In my hands, ä is output correctly, whether or not BibTeX is turned on.

I really need concrete examples, please sent directly to me, so I can see if there is a problem or not.

Jon
Sonny Software
nike

Post by nike »

Okay, I try to make clear what my problem is:

I try to export some references from Bookends to include them in a LaTeX document (in which I didn't use BibTeX)

The references have umlauts and other special characters in it like the German typographical quotation marks („ and “)

1) First I tried to export it without the BibTex pref for replacing special characters with the TeX equivalents:

Jähnichen, Traugott/Friedrich, Norbert: „Krisen, Konflikte und Konsequenzen – Die „68er Bewegung“ und der Protestantismus an der Ruhr-Universität Bochum“, in: Westfälische Forschungen 1998, S. 127-155.

was exported to:

J?§hnichen, Traugott/Friedrich, Norbert: ‚ÄûKrisen, Konflikte und Konsequenzen ‚Äì Die ‚Äû68er Bewegung‚Äú und der Protestantismus an der Ruhr-Universit?§t Bochum‚Äú, in: \emph{Westf?§lische Forschungen }1998, S. 127--155.

(This happens when I open the output file in TextEdit and TeXShop. When I open it in XCode and tell it to reinterpret the file in UTF-8, it looks fine. My LaTeX document is in MacOSRoman enconding though, so that I cannot open it in UTF-8.)

2) I then switched on the BibTeX pref to convert the special characters in their TeX equivalents and it converted the umlauts etc. perfectly, but not the quotation marks...

Moreover, when I copy the output to my LaTeX document and run the latex command in TeXShop, I get the error that I mentioned above. I guess this is due to the UTF-8 encoded space characters or line breaks.

----
So what can I do? I think this all is due to the fact that Bookends exports all the files to UTF-8 when I chose "BibTeX". This isn't compatible with my MacOSRoman encoded LaTeX files. Is there a possibility to export a bibliography to a MacOSRoman encoded, but BibTex styled file?

I hope I made my problem clear now, but will send you - Jon - this explanation in an email seperately.

I would be very pleased if you could help me. Perhaps there is someone on this board who knows a decent workflow to work with both Bookends and TeXShop without the encoding problems...

Thanks again

Annika (female, btw ;-))
Mohinish

Workaround for German patterns

Post by Mohinish »

Hi,
what you might want to do is to simply get your LaTeX to understand and output utf8. Assuming that you are already using

\usepackage[german]{babel}

Just add the following immediately afterwards in the preamble:

\usepackage{ucs}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

This lets LaTeX use utf8 encoding.

So, just export from BE to .bib, and use that file (no changes needed anywhere); and it should work straight off.
(I've tried this, it works for me :)