Feature Request: Highlight and Annotate PDF

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
david-emil

Re: Feature Request: Highlight and Annotate PDF

Post by david-emil »

cool, that worked, thanks! :-)

david-emil
ethnomusicologist
Tony Higgins

Post by Tony Higgins »

david-emil wrote:i know (and i really like how you implemented the note stream - thank you!!! ) - but i actually copy the text in the pdf and have a keyboard short cut which when activated in the note stream pastes the copied text, adds quotation marks, adds @ and places the cursor after the @ so i can add the page number.

WOW! How did you do that?!

david-emil wrote:the reason i raise this is that i am kind of wishing for a feature similar to that of sente's: "Highlight some text or a figure in the PDF, click a button, and Sente will highlight the selection in the PDF and create a new note on the reference including the selection as a quotation." (http://www.thirdstreetsoftware.com/site ... ement.html)

I second the desire to be able to do this . . . marking / annotating the PDF while at the same time creating a notecard would be excellent, especially if some kind of "note id #" (like a footnote number) could be placed in the PDF--something that would be linked to and identify a specific notecard, when the notecard is created in this manner. That way, in the event you have lots of notecards in a note stream for a particular PDF, when you click on the "note id #" that has been placed in the PDF (placed at the point of the selected/quoted text) the notecard associated to that id number would pop to the top of the note stream. Of course, another solution would be for the note stream to automatically track along with the note id #'s as a PDF is being read.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Tony Higgins wrote: I second the desire to be able to do this . . . marking / annotating the PDF while at the same time creating a notecard would be excellent, especially if some kind of "note id #" (like a footnote number) could be placed in the PDF--something that would be linked to and identify a specific notecard, when the notecard is created in this manner. That way, in the event you have lots of notecards in a note stream for a particular PDF, when you click on the "note id #" that has been placed in the PDF (placed at the point of the selected/quoted text) the notecard associated to that id number would pop to the top of the note stream.
You can do something like that now (not quite, but still...).

In Bookends, Edit -> Copy Hypertext Link (As Text).
In Preview, select some text and use Tools -> Annotate -> Add Link. Select URL from the Inspector popup, and paste in the link to Bookends.

Change Tools in Preview to the hand (or whatever).

Click on the link in Preview and you'll switch to Bookends, with the reference in the link selected and showing. You're linking references, not notecards, but this should provide a good bit of the functionality you want.

Jon
Sonny Software
Tony Higgins

Post by Tony Higgins »

Thanks, Jon.
I'm still using 10.4 (Tiger). That said, I can't find the Preview functionality you mentioned--I suspect it's in an upgraded version from the one I have. Hmmm . . . could be a reason to upgrade . . . say, don't you get the latest OS when you purchase a new Mac? Hmmmm . . . :D

If I do upgrade, I'll give your suggestions a try. In any case, though, I do think something like what I mentioned would be great--that is, of course, if it is feasible.

Thanks for your great work!

Blessing,
Tony
david-emil

Post by david-emil »

Tony Higgins wrote:
david-emil wrote:i know (and i really like how you implemented the note stream - thank you!!! ) - but i actually copy the text in the pdf and have a keyboard short cut which when activated in the note stream pastes the copied text, adds quotation marks, adds @ and places the cursor after the @ so i can add the page number.

WOW! How did you do that?!
i use typinator (http://www.macility.com/products/typinator/) and defined an abbreviation which when typed copies the content of the clipboard (the copied text from the pdf) enclosed by quotations marks and preceded by an '@' and which places the cursor right after the '@'. the typinator code is
@{^} "{clip}"

{^} = cursor
{clip} = clipboard
;-)

david-emil
ethnomusicologist
Tony Higgins

Post by Tony Higgins »

Thanks! :D