A small request

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
niklas

A small request

Post by niklas »

.. if its not already there and I have missed it:

A way to add selected references to the hit list.

Under the Refs menu, I can choose to add all references or a range of refs to the hit list, but not the ones currently selected in the list view. By the way, I find "Select" to be an ambiguous word to use in this context, as I presume most people associate select with what you do when you , well, select something in the list by clicking on it. Anyway, I'd like an option like "Add selected references to Hits list" (would be nice to have as a contextual menu too...).
I have noticed that I often miss this, for example when I want to quickly format a bibliography from a group or a bunch of references in the list.

Oh, and one more thing...
When I have scanned a document for references, and formatted a bibliography, the "Groups" pane seems to die. I get no response when clicking in it, unless I close and reopen the database.

Thanks, Niklas
Jon
Site Admin

Re: A small request

Post by Jon »

niklas wrote:A way to add selected references to the hit list.

Under the Refs menu, I can choose to add all references or a range of refs to the hit list, but not the ones currently selected in the list view. By the way, I find "Select" to be an ambiguous word to use in this context, as I presume most people associate select with what you do when you , well, select something in the list by clicking on it. Anyway, I'd like an option like "Add selected references to Hits list" (would be nice to have as a contextual menu too...).
I have noticed that I often miss this, for example when I want to quickly format a bibliography from a group or a bunch of references in the list.
Hi niklas,

Bookends does this, and it is very easy. Select the references you want to make hits (yes, the traditional use of select) and then click on the checkbox for *one* of them with the Shift key held down. All the references that are selected will now have the same Hit status (either all checked or all unchecked, depending on the setting for the one you clicked on). Very handy.
niklas wrote:Oh, and one more thing...
When I have scanned a document for references, and formatted a bibliography, the "Groups" pane seems to die. I get no response when clicking in it, unless I close and reopen the database.
Sounds like a possible bug report. Please contact me directly and we can look into it.

Jon
Sonny Software
tom

Post by tom »

Hi Jon,

I have another 'small' request:

Is it possible to have checkboxes in the internet search window?

Regards
tom
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes. But what would they signify, exactly?

Jon
Sonny Software
tom

Post by tom »

Jon wrote:Yes. But what would they signify, exactly?
I'd like to chose e.g. 10 refs out of 100 to import. Sure, I can do this by pressing the command key while clicking -- when I forget doing this by ref 9...I will loose all my selected
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I see. I'm afraid that's not the standard Mac way, though, and could get very confusing to people (including me!). If you drag and drop a selection are ALL the checked items imported, or only the ones you dragged? And if you want to do multiple imports, you'd have to uncheck the first group before doing the second.

I think we will stick with the standard selection method. Just be careful when you click... :-)

Jon
Sonny Software

Post by Guest »

Jon wrote:I see. I'm afraid that's not the standard Mac way, though, and could get very confusing to people (including me!).
Now it's me getting confused...in listview in BE you can check boxes, you make them hits and then you could e.g. 'add to new group' (rigth?)...when I could now check boxes in the internet search window (that looks like the listview), I would get hits that I could 'Copy to...'. I do not see, why one way is Mac way and not the other. For me, they are nearly the same...and if you prefer just drag and drop you still could do this without checking any boxes...
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Anonymous wrote:Now it's me getting confused...in listview in BE you can check boxes, you make them hits and then you could e.g. 'add to new group' (rigth?)...
That is not correct. When you "add to new group" Bookends adds the *selected* references (the ones that are highlighted). It does not care about the "hit status".

When you drag and drop (or use Copy To) references from the Internet Search window to a database, you can make them hits easily by simply checking the "Import to Hits List" checkbox at the bottom of the window. If you want to *add* them to the Hits List, hold the Shift key down when you drag and drop (or use Copy To).

Jon
Sonny Software
tom

Post by tom »

Jon wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Now it's me getting confused...in listview in BE you can check boxes, you make them hits and then you could e.g. 'add to new group' (rigth?)...
That is not correct. When you "add to new group" Bookends adds the *selected* references (the ones that are highlighted). It does not care about the "hit status".
I see...But now I don't see anymore what the boxes signify exactly (when I need to *select* the refs to do something)...?

sorry for confusing
tom
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The checkboxes are for indicating if a reference is in the Hits List or not. And by clicking on it you can make a reference a hit (if it is not) or remove it from the Hits List (if it is). See?

Since most operations are performed on the hits (making a bib, sorting, exporting, etc.), this is very useful.

Jon
Sonny Software
tom

Post by tom »

Jon wrote: Since most operations are performed on the hits (making a bib, sorting, exporting, etc.), this is very useful.
I agree, and this is exactly what I like to do in the internet search window:
marking 'real' hits and putting them to a 'virtual' hit list before downloading them...
on the NCBI site I can search PubMed, mark the wanted hits, send them to clipboard (where they are kept for 24 h or something), doing other searches, adding other hits...

:lol:
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm not sure we are getting anywhere here, Tom. The Internet Search window is evanescent. The only way to store the refs is to import them to a database.

You can import them as hits if you want (check the box Import to Hits List). You can move them immediately to a temporary static group if you like (select all and right-click).

You can also import them to a cumulative hits list (import with the Shift key held down).

Putting them in a "virtual" hits list before import is useless, because before you import them you can't do anything with them (except look at them).

Jon
Sonny Software
tom

Post by tom »

Jon wrote:I'm not sure we are getting anywhere here, Tom.

The Internet Search window is evanescent. The only way to store the refs is to import them to a database.

You can import them as hits if you want (check the box Import to Hits List). You can move them immediately to a temporary static group if you like (select all and right-click).
Yes, but this is not what I'm looking for....when I'm doing an internet search, I can highligth refs by 'command-click' but this is just not 'stable' enough for me ...one click without command key --> my *selection* is gone. Sure, this is no problem if you have only fews, and sure I can download the hole search to a static group...but I can't delete the refs from a static group (if I'm right they're removed from the group but not from the database). However, what I like to do is a pre-selection (that is a bit more 'stable' than highliting) before importing (just looking at them is enough!)).

but anyway...I like BookEnds very much

tom
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You can always make a database, call it "Temporary", and drag references from the Internet Search window that you think you might want there. You can then deal with them at your leisure and import the ones you want to your "Working" database when you have the time.

Jon
Sonny Software
tom

Post by tom »

Jon wrote:You can always make a database, call it "Temporary", and drag references from the Internet Search
yes, but one drag needs about five seconds, I have to confirm the import window and then go back to the search window...you see?