Bookends & UniWakkaWiki

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.

Are you interested in being able to share references online?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 3

rickl

Bookends & UniWakkaWiki

Post by rickl »

A colleague recently pointed out to me that, though you can do pretty much everything collaboratively online these days, using various open source content management systems, there doesn't seem to be anything to handle bibliographies and references. Fortunately, I've just discovered UniWakkaWiki http://www.istitutocolli.org/uniwakka/HomePage, which does claim to handle importing, exporting, collaborative editing and sharing of bibliographies: http://www.istitutocolli.org/uniwakka/BiblioTest.

The way I imagine this working, I might be working on a wiki page and decide to share some references, so I'd generate some hits in Bookends and export them in Bibtex for import into the wiki. Later, my colleague, editing the same page, exports some other references in the same way. Once the page is completed, we would both export the references that we didn't already have in our own copy of Bookends from the wiki page to Bookends.

Unfortunately, trying these features out, I wasn't able to get them to work. Exporting in bibtex or latex format gave me a file with a generic icon that Bookends couldn't open or import. It's quite possible that no-one else is particularly interested in this issue, but if anyone more knowledgeable than me is, could you take a look at the UniWakkaWiki pages? Any ideas as to what's going wrong, or whether this needs to be pursued from the Bookends or the UniWakkaWiki end, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick
rickl

polls

Post by rickl »

Wow, this polls feature is nice! I've never seen it done like this before, with a poll being attached to a forum post.

Rick
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Rick,

I tried this URL

http://www.istitutocolli.org/uniwakka/BiblioCitation

I exported as BibTeX, and in my case (Safari) the references were sent to the screen. I copied some references to the clipboard, switched to Bookends, and Imported References *from the clipboard* using the BibTeX filter. It worked.

FYI, when you have text files that lack the Mac file type metadata (which is why the icon is generic), you just have to add .txt to the file name and drag and drop it onto a Bookends reference window -- Bookends will offer to import the contents.

Jon
Sonny Software
rickl

Bookends & UniWakkaWiki

Post by rickl »

Works exactly as you say, Jon. Very impressed with Bookends' versatility. Thanks a bunch, Rick
rickl

Bookends to UniWakkaWiki

Post by rickl »

Sorry to keep flogging this one, but now that I'm able to import into Bookends from UniWakkaWiki, I'd like to do the reverse. Unfortunately, I can't get the UniWakkaWiki import feature to work. I suspect that the format is the problem, because UniWakka export refs look like this:
@article{avesani02collaborative,
author = {P. Avesani and P. Massa and M. Nori and A. Susi},
title = {Collaborative Radio Community},
journal = {Lecture Notes in Computer Science},
volume = {2347},
year = {2002},
annote = {A paper of mine.},
}

@book{axelrodXXevolution,
author = {Axelrod, Robert},
title = {The evolution of co-operation},
year = {0},
}

@book{baierXXmoral,
author = {Baier, Annette},
title = {Moral Prejudices},
year = {0},
annote = {TO BE READ. (comment from "the philosophy of trust},
}
whereas Bookends Bibtex export (printout) looks like this:
Unique ID: 19583
Authors: P., Avesani, P., Massa, M., Nori, and A., Susi
Title: Collaborative Radio Community
Editors:
Journal: Lecture Notes in Computer Science
Volume: 2347
Pages:
Date: 2002
Publisher:
2° Title:
User1: avesani02collaborative
User2:
Abstract:
Keywords:
Notes: A paper of mine.

Unique ID: 36052
Authors: Axelrod, Robert
Title: The evolution of co-operation
Editors:
Journal:
Volume:
Pages:
Date: 0
Publisher:
2° Title:
User1: axelrodXXevolution
User2:
Abstract:
Keywords:
Notes:
Any idea how I can produce the format UniWakka seems to require?

(The import page is at http://www.istitutocolli.org/uniwakka/B ... blioImport

Thanks again,
Rick
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Rick,

Bookends can output the data in almost any form you would care to imagine.

In this case, you are using the Printout format, if I'm not mistaken. Instead, use the BibTeX format to output the references. Make sure BibTeX is enabled in the Format Window, and select it from the popup menu when you send a "bibliography" (i.e. the hits) to disk as a plain text file.

Jon
Sonny Software
rickl

exporting bibtex

Post by rickl »

use the BibTeX format to output the references. Make sure BibTeX is enabled in the Format Window, and select it from the popup menu when you send a "bibliography" (i.e. the hits) to disk as a plain text file.
Thanks, Jon. That's solved it for me.