Is this even possible from within bookends

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jzents

Is this even possible from within bookends

Post by jzents »

]Is this format even possible within bookends. I am attaching a tiff that shows the bibliographic format that I need for my school. Not sure if possible with bookends. Would make decision for it much easier if it is. Thanks to anyone that has a suggestion other than edit in the WP once it is scanned. Well I was going to but it will not let upload either a .pdf or a Pages file or a tiff. What are the procedures here to getting you an image of the format I am trying to create? Thank you!

I will try to describe since I was not able to get an image in. My school's format goes like this: Author(s) on one line. Then on the next line is the date indented about .25 inches, and then in from the date (which is forms the hanging part of a hanging indent) is the rest of the information. Like this:

Austin, John
1960 Sense and Sensibilia. Edited by Geoffrey Warnock.
Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Unfortunately the display removes some of my spaces, ruining my picture. The line beginning with 1960 is supposed to be the first line of a paragraph with a hanging indent. In the example Oxford: is supposed to be the second line of the para starting at the same place as the title.

I am placing a link to the .pdf here http://files.me.com/jzents/0aclbj and here is an image [attachment=0]Picture 2.png[/attachment
Attachments
Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png (66.73 KiB) Viewed 3854 times
Last edited by jzents on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jeff Zents
South Texas College
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Is this even possible from within bookends

Post by Jon »

You can upload the image to a server, and then put in the http:// url link here.

Or you can type/paste in the text in the forum editfield.

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

jzents wrote:Well I was going to but it will not let upload either a .pdf or a Pages file or a tiff. What are the procedures here to getting you an image of the format I am trying to create?
If you make a standard screenshot on your Mac (by hitting Command-Shift-3 or Command-Shift-4), the picture gets saved as a PNG file. This forum allows uploading/attaching PNG image files (and JPG and GIF – TIFF format is not supported by many browsers, therefore it should not be used on the internet).
Hope this helps!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I think Bookends can get you close. You can already do the hanging indent. And in a Bookends format you can have it output Returns and Tabs by using the the symbols ¬ and ∆ (that's Option-L and Option-J, respectively, on a US keyboard) -- you can also just enter a Return from the keyboard. I'd have to experiment a bit, but something like

a
d.∆v. l: u.

might approximate the example for Kirk et al. For the second indent level of a wrapped second line you'd have to play with the margins in your word processor. Otherwise they'll wrap to the same level as the year.

Jon
Sonny Software
jzents

Post by jzents »

Thank you very much. I was hoping so, but was not at all sure how to proceed. Cheers!
Jeff Zents
South Texas College