styles problem

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
rickl

styles problem

Post by rickl »

Sorry to keep the questions coming so thick and fast, but I'm working in Bookends intensively these days and want to clear up as many issues as possible...

When I enter data into Bookends by copying and pasting from a webpage, styles are sometimes retained. They are still retained in formatted bibliographies, and I'm wondering if there's any way to stop this happening? Here's an example

Thanks,
Rick
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Use the menu option

Edit -> Paste Without Styles (AKA Option-Command-V)

This will do what you want.

Jon
Sonny Software
rickl

Post by rickl »

Jon wrote:Use the menu option

I tried this, but couldn't get it to work as I imagine it should.

1. I went to http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o ... a88bc16cbd and selected and copied the title Process writing and vocabulary development: comparing Lexical Frequency Profiles across drafts. I switched to the title field in my Bookends file and chose paste without styles, but the title was pasted in large bold type.

2. Using the command in another way, in the bibliography window, I selected and copied all the text, then chose paste without styles immediately. This removes all formatting, including necessary italicization, etc. By selecting the title from here and pasting it back into the bibli in place of the bold text, then generating the bibli again, I could solve the problem, but this is probably more trouble than reformatting the bibli by hand in a word processor.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Rick
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

rickl wrote:
Jon wrote:Use the menu option

I tried this, but couldn't get it to work as I imagine it should.
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Rick
Hi Rick,

All I can imagine is that perhaps the style of the 0'th character in the Title field you pasted into was set to bold. This could happen if you had bold text in that field and backspaced to delete it -- the style is still bold, no plain. Try creating a fresh reference and do this again.

I did exactly what you did (copy/paste without styles from the site you provided) and it pasted without styles. This is as it must be, because Bookends grabs the raw text from the clipboard and ignores the style data...

Jon
Sonny Software
rickl

styles problem

Post by rickl »

All I can imagine is that perhaps the style of the 0'th character in the Title field you pasted into was set to bold. This could happen if you had bold text in that field and backspaced to delete it -- the style is still bold, no plain. Try creating a fresh reference and do this again.
You've hit the nail on the head again, Jon. Thanks a lot!

Rick
ascorbic

Post by ascorbic »

It would be really good if one could remove the styles from text that has already been pasted. I often forget to paste without styles, and I end up having to delete the reference and start again from scratch. This is a real pain. Better yet, a preference to disable styles in the reference fields completely, as it's not something I ever need and just gets in the way.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

You can remove styles from references (those in the hits list or the entire database) at one go with Refs -> Global Change -> Restore Default Font Style.

Jon
Sonny Software