BE fails to open in Snow Leopard

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
rod.decker

Re: BE fails to open in Snow Leopard

Post by rod.decker »

Since we can't use the Update function in SL/10.6, how will we know when an update is available? Will you send out a one-time email? Or can you give us a guestimated time-frame for when it might be available? Or do we just have to manually keep checking here? (That would not be a preferred way!)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If Sparkle can't be updated for Snow Leopard, I'll disable it (for Snow Leopard) in the next release and re-enable the method we used to use, which was to have the Check For Update menu tell you whether an update was available or not, and take you to the download page if it is.

Jon
Sonny Software
rod.decker

Post by rod.decker »

Yes, I understand that; sounds like a reasonable course of action to me. But my question is, how are we going to know when you have done this?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It will be announced in the usual places: VersionTracker, MacUpdate, our web site. I can tell you now that we'll probably have an update this month. I'm guessing in several weeks, but that depends on how the testing goes.

Jon
Sonny Software
smurph

Post by smurph »

Thought I'd just report that I have upgraded to Snow Leopard and BE runs fine.

Although I've been using BE a long time, my laptop is reasonably new and therefore the preferences file was also new, which may have helped.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Does File -> Check For Updates work for you in Snow Leopard? That's the only function I know of that was broken by Snow Leopard.

Jon
Sonny Software
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

It does not work for me, Jon.

Steven
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Actually, I don't expect it to work for *anybody*. I was asking smurph because his note suggested it might work for him (to which I'd be surprised).

I've replaced Sparkle (under Snow Leopard) in the next Bookends update with a simpler, but effective, update mechanism. If/when Sparkle is made compatible with SL, I'll reinstate it.

Jon
Sonny Software
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

Jon wrote:Hi,

Actually, I don't expect it to work for *anybody*...

I've replaced Sparkle (under Snow Leopard) in the next Bookends update with a simpler, but effective, update mechanism. If/when Sparkle is made compatible with SL, I'll reinstate it.

Jon
Sonny Software
Oh, of course. Not implying that I'm somebody. Thanks for offering an alternative updater.

Happy Labor Day.
kga1978

Post by kga1978 »

I just started getting failed launches as well, but was not very keen to delete my preference files. I found that changing the following worked (I guess this disabled Sparkle??).

In
~/Library/Preferences

find:
com.sonnysoftware.bookends.plist

and open it with e.g. Pref Setter, or any other plist editor:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26268

Find the two keys:
SUCheckAtStartup
SUEnableAutomaticChecks

and change the values to 'False' (if you use Pref Setter, just click the value).

Save the plist and restart Bookends - it should now work.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's right.

But it's simpler just to trash

com.sonnysoftware.bookends.plist

There is really nothing of importance there (except the Sparkle settings).

The important prefs file is Bookends 10 Preferences -- and the feedback I'm getting is that you can leave that alone in Snow Leopard.

So for anyone following this thread, if you upgrade to Snow Leopard, trash com.sonnysoftware.bookends.plist (which is in your preferences folder). And don't use Check For Updates.

The next Bookends update will make all of this unnecessary.

Jon
Sonny Software
kga1978

Post by kga1978 »

Ah, I see - I guess as a 'true scientist' I like making things complicated :mrgreen:
dspedersen

Post by dspedersen »

I'm beginning to get failures during start up; just bounces two times in the dock and the blue light turns of.

Using Spotlight to search for "com.sonnysoftware.bookends.plist" gives me nothing, unfortunately - maybe that's got something to do with my problem?

I had it up and running yesterday and it worked just fine, so I am a bit puzzled... :?

Edit: This is weird, after six or seventh try it finally started but without the usual database open; had to open it my self. Normally BE has always been really stable but after SL something has happend, for sure.

Edit II: I've just discovered that there's a new version of BE, the 10.6. I am on the 10.5.6 version. Is it correct that this will be a payed for upgrade?
M.Sc., Ph.D. student, neurobiology
Aarhus University
Denmark
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

No. All versions in the 10.x series are free if you already bought or upgraded to Bookends 10.x (if you own an earlier version of Bookends the usual upgrade fees apply). Please download 10.6 and use that version.

Jon
Sonny Software
dspedersen

Post by dspedersen »

Hi Jon,

Great! Have it on my desktop already - thanks! :)
M.Sc., Ph.D. student, neurobiology
Aarhus University
Denmark