BE fails to open in Snow Leopard

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
dspedersen

BE fails to open in Snow Leopard

Post by dspedersen »

So, finally the newest member of Apple's cats arrived. However, I am unable to get BE going. Just bounces a few times in the dock, and no more happens.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to get it flying again?

Thx in advance
Dan
M.Sc., Ph.D. student, neurobiology
Aarhus University
Denmark
strugatzki

Re: BE fails to open in Snow Leopard

Post by strugatzki »

ouch, and now the install dvd is sitting on my desk and i cannot dare installing it... anybody else, or somebody with a test machine who can confirm it does not run?

waiting anxiously,
dominik.
dspedersen

Post by dspedersen »

Maybe it will help to remove/delete the plist file but I am not sure one such is to be found for BE?
Aarhus University
Denmark
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Please remove the file Bookends 10 Preferences from your preferences folder and relaunch Bookends. I've had no other report (yet) of such a problem, so I'm guessing that it's an issue with your Bookends preferences.

Jon
Sonny Software
dspedersen

Post by dspedersen »

Oh, that did the trick! BE died from me once, but an additional try and it got on its leg. Had to re-register, but easy peacy.

However, it has changed the font in the DB to a times-like one, but probably get that sorted out as well.

Thanks a lot, Jon! :)
Aarhus University
Denmark
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Glad that worked.

The default font for new installs (or when you create a new preferences file) changed a while ago. You can reset the default fonts in preferences. BTW, I'd like feedback on the default fonts for references, lists, and bibliographies (probably should open a separate thread on that). Feel free to make suggestions (anyone) if you don't like ours.

Jon
Sonny Software
jaredg

Post by jaredg »

Since upgrading to Snow Leopard, I have not been able to keep Bookends running: it either crashes on launch or about 2 or 3 minutes in. I deleted the preference file, reregistered, but the problem continues. It seems that attempts to perform online searches especially render it unstable
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

I'm not aware of any problems with SL (other than Sparkle). What "preferences file" did you get rid of. It should be the one name "Bookends 10 Preferences". If you have "Bookends 9 Preferences" around, get rid of it too.

Jon
Sonny Software
jaredg

Post by jaredg »

Yes, I deleted the Bookends 10 preference file. After crashing 3 or 4 more times, it seems to have stabilized. Fingers crossed...
rickl

Post by rickl »

I've set up that new thread you mentioned and posted my preferences:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2417
ozean

Post by ozean »

I also had to delete the Bookends preferences from the ~/Library/Preferences folder.

In the first try, I only deleted the two files Bookends 7 Bookmarks and Bookends 10 Preferences but the startup crash did not go away. So I deleted these once more and this time I also deleted com.sonnysoftware.bookends.plist. This seemed to help and I could open Bookends again (now I have to readjust my preferences, of course).
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

The .plist contains some options for Sparkle. Since that is broken in Snow Leopard, it's possible the removing the .plist can fix some problems (most people are having no difficulty in Snow Leopard, but for those who are, this might be a good thing to try).

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

Yup, for me the cause seems to be Sparkle / the auto updater. If I deny the request for automatic updates on the second restart, then I can use Bookends without problems. If I accept, Bookends fails to start until I remove the .plist.
fr.paolo

Post by fr.paolo »

I have the same problem.
I have deleted all 3 pref files and bookends run.
If I check for update or let it automatically check Bookends crash and do not run until I remove the plist file.

Paolo
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

To repeat for anyone new to this thread. The Sparkle updater that Bookends uses is not compatible with Snow Leopard. Do not try to Check for Updates from Bookends if you are using Snow Leopard. If this can't be fixed, I'll remove Sparkle from the next Bookends update.

Other than that, there are no problems with Bookends and Snow Leopard.

Jon
Sonny Software