Date format Problem

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Madwen

Date format Problem

Post by Madwen »

I often need to enter full dates including the year, month and day, especially for newspaper articles. According to the documentation, such dates are to be entered as yy-mm-dd because the date field is in alphanumeric as opposed to date format(yikes!). So I'd really like to know how to distinguish between, say, 1904 and 2004 since both are supposed to be entered the same way--- "04". I see a lot of historical citations that go back a lot further than that.

Madwen
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Madwen,

Bookends doesn't use a real date field because many (most?) folks import reference information, and there is just not enough consistency to allow for unambiguous resolutions of dates (it's a mess).

If you don't care about sorting by date, just enter the date as you like. If you want to sort by any modern date, use

yyyy/mm/dd

e.g. 1904/01/01

Jon
Sonny Software
remold

more on dates

Post by remold »

I have a similar concern. I write in more than one language and use the same reference database for everything. So when I enter dates I need something that will work in any language.

I've considered writing out full dates (i.e. September 2003) in the date field using the language of the publication. That way the language matches the title of the paper and name of Journal and also matches what is written on the binding of the issue.

Number dates would have been ideal but unfortunately, some languages use mm/dd/yy (well, just Enlish) and everywhere else dd/mm/yy so this is no good. Unless this is something I can specify when I generate my bibliography to swap month and day placement.

I bet there is a standard way to do this sort of thing. Does anyone know if full dates in publication language are widely accepted?
Randall Wood

Dates in newspaper articles

Post by Randall Wood »

Has anyone found a better way to get control over the display of dates? Using MLA style with newspaper, all I get is the year, when I really need the complete date.

Seems like there ought to be a better way to deal with dates, so if you edit the format file you can define something like

M d, YYYY or

d/M/YYYY etc.

Best,
Randall
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

You can turn off "year-only for date" in the format itself. Bookends will then use whatever is entered in the Date field.

Jon
Sonny Software
Randall Wood

Bingo

Post by Randall Wood »

Jon wrote:Hi,

You can turn off "year-only for date" in the format itself. Bookends will then use whatever is entered in the Date field.

Jon
Sonny Software

That did it, and I'm back in action. Fantastic, and the under-5 minute response time was pretty impressive too. Thanks.