Saving & Managing Internet Articles: Future Feature?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
sbz

Saving & Managing Internet Articles: Future Feature?

Post by sbz »

I am hoping forum members may be able to offer suggestions for saving and managing articles, blog entries, web pages, and similar material for easy future recall.

Although I find Bookends to be very good at handling all my journal and book bibliographic needs (formal research), I also keep lots (too many, I fear) documents of interest that I find on the internet: newspaper and magazine articles, blog entries, and other pieces that are not indexed in academic databases. These find use as inspirations, argument points of departure, and triggers for class discussions. It is research done backwards. Instead of searching for published material on a topic and saving the information and meta-data to Bookends, I am finding mostly non-academic web pages of interest that I wish to keep track of and be able to search for and within.

Currently, I copy the content, paste it to a word processor, save it as a text or pdf file, and enter it in Bookends. I have tried the FireFox plugin, Zotero, but find it limited. Perhaps I'm missing something in the way I'm using it. Also, its FireFox only property is a drawback for me.

A Zotero-like (but better) capability within Bookends would be ideal, but I'd be happy with simple means to quickly render interesting bits and pieces from the 'net into filed, retrievable, searchable, and citable documents.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Saving & Managing Internet Articles: Future Feature?

Post by Jon »

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but in Bookends Browser you can capture any web page as a .webarchive and attach it to a reference (or an empty reference) in Bookends. Just drag and drop the "pdf proxy icon" (which is also a webpage proxy icon).

Jon
Sonny Software
danzac

Re: Saving & Managing Internet Articles: Future Feature?

Post by danzac »

Check out Devonthink Pro for saving and storing stuff from the internet.
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~