Author (Date) format?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
gshenaut

Author (Date) format?

Post by gshenaut »

In author-date style, I get it that "(Author, Date)" (i.e., entire citation parenthesized) is default and "Author, Date" (i.e., no parentheses) is produced with {*xyz}, but there is another very frequent citation format, "Author (Date)", that I don't see how to produce in Bookends except via Author {%xyz}, in which the author must type in the author part manually/redundantly. Is there some customization character that specifies this style?

Also, there is sometimes punctuation required on the Author part, as in "in Author's (Date) study". It seems to me that if there were some way to refer to the author of the cited reference inside backslashes, for example, using "=a", then this plus the % character would allow a general solution:

Code: Select all

in {\=a's \%Smith et al., 1921, #1234} study
would produce "in Smith et. al.'s (1921) study". If other pieces of the reference could be accessed in the same way (=d for date, =j for journal, etc.) then this would add considerable flexibility to in-text citations:

Code: Select all

in {\=a's =d study published in =j\!Smith et al., 1921, #1234}, it was found that
could produce "in Smith et al.'s, 1921 study published in Psychological Review, it was found that".

Greg Shenaut
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Author (Date) format?

Post by Jon »

Hi,

There are some interesting ideas there, but as you noted right now the way to create an Author (Date) citation is so type the author's name in the text and use {%temp cite info} to generate the date in parentheses.

Jon
Sonny Software