Opening multiple references

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
macula

Opening multiple references

Post by macula »

I would like to be able to keep open many reference windows open at the same time. Sometimes, for example, I need to look at the research notes of three bibliographic entries side by side.

It's been quite some time (years?) since I last encountered an application permitting only one "document" (in this case, "reference") open at a time. Perhaps we can look forward to Bookends 11 catching up in that sense?

Thank you.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Opening multiple references

Post by Jon »

Hi,

If you use "compare references" you can see two references at once (and copy/merge data between them). Note that in Bookends, the "reference window" is a valid way of working with the database. That is, it's not just a peek at one reference. This won't change soon.

Jon
Sonny Software
macula

Post by macula »

Thanks for alerting me to the "compare references" feature. It looks great and works fine for up to two references, as you point out, though not for more.

I don't see why having more than one reference window open at a time could detract from the editing functionality of these windows. Just as we can have multiple documents open in TextEdit, Word, Logic Pro, etc., why not be able to have more than one reference edit window open in Bookends? EndNote allows this, and it makes an asset, not a liability.
Tony Higgins

Post by Tony Higgins »

Any thought of having tabbed windows?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

There are internal structural reasons that Bookends uses one window to display reference details, and it would be difficult to change this. I'll think about it, but it certainly won't be in the release of Bookends 11, which is getting pretty close. Tabbed windows wouldn't do the trick, I think, because you'd still be unable to view multiple references at once (you'd have to switch between them).

Jon
Sonny Software