Article in an edited book or collection of essays

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
lorencrow

Article in an edited book or collection of essays

Post by lorencrow »

When adding articles from a collection of essays, it would be nice if I could simply input the book information first as a separate entry, then drag or copy that entry into subsequent entries for the specific articles. What I'm thinking is I could enter the article name and pages, then select "in" -- and simply drag the book entry into a hot spot. Is there any way to do something like this that I haven't discovered? What do y'all do when adding collections?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Article in an edited book or collection of essays

Post by Jon »

Have you looked at the Replicate As Book Chapter menu option? (And check out reference linking, too, in the User Guide).

Jon
Sonny Software
lorencrow

Post by lorencrow »

Sweet! I love bookends!
rickl

Post by rickl »

The chapter in a book functionality is really good. A similar type of thing that always causes me problems (both knowing the correct format and working out how to produce it) is a paper in a conference proceedings volume. It's like a chapter in a book in that it has the "In [proceedings volume name]" element and page numbers, but tends also to have conference names. I know that it's possible for users to bend Bookends to their needs, but I'd have thought that there must be countless scholars who have to deal with references like this all the time. Might it be possible for "Conference proceedings paper" to be added as a built-in reference type in a future version? No doubt some of the expert users here could suggest exactly what elements were needed.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm not sure what you are asking for. Bookends has a Conference Proceedings Type.

Jon
Sonny Software
rickl

Post by rickl »

Yes, but it seems to me that "Conference proceedings" conflates two types of reference: the volume (similar to the edited book type) in which all the proceedings are collected, and an individual paper (similar to the book chapter type) within the proceedings volume.

Perhaps someone else could weigh in here, to make sure I'm not asking for something that doesn't make sense or that is better done through the existing types?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

In Bookends, Conference Proceeding refers to the elements (chapters if you will) in the volume. The volume is really just a book or edited book, and is given that Type. That's how I intended it, anyway.

Jon
Sonny Software
rickl

Post by rickl »

OK, I've had a few days to think about this. Here are some thoughts:

1. In my copy of Bookends 11, at least, the highlighted fields for Conference proceedings are Authors, Title, Date, Key (all expected), and Conf Name. If the Proceedings volume is essentially a book, why aren't the Volume and the Pages fields highlighted instead of Conf Name? If I fill in the fields as expected, but also add pages, I get APA 5th output like this:
Pals, T. (2009). Simple solutions: Creating interactive websites with drag and drop WizzyWigs. Paper presented at the Thirteenth Annual JALT CALL SIG Conference 2008.
To my mind, this is almost a suitable format for a conference paper that hasn't been published in a Proceedings volume, and therefore the Type could perhaps be better named as "Unpublished conference paper" or similar? The remaining problem is with dates. The 2008 is there because I included it in the conference name (because it's part of the title of the proceedings volume). The (2009) bit (the date of publication of the volume) is meaningless, which implies that the date field should be used for the date of the presentation (or the date range of the conference as a whole)?

2. If I use the same example as above, but input the proceedings volume info first as an edited book, and then use the Replicate as Book Chapter function, I get the following:
Pals, T. (2009). Simple solutions: Creating interactive websites with drag and drop WizzyWigs. In M. Thomas (Ed.), New frontiers in CALL: Negotiating diversity: Selected proceedings of the thirteenth annual JALT CALL SIG conference 2008. JALT CALL SIG.
I believe that's exactly the right format for this kind of item. And that would imply that we don't actually need any Proceedings Types as such (either for individual papers or for volumes) but that it's unpublished papers and presentations that are the real issue.

3. I suspect that these days it's quite common to cite conference papers that have not been formally published but whose text is available online because the presenter has uploaded it.The APA 6th guide gives such an example, but where the abstract only is available online:
Liu, S. (2005, May). Defending against business crises with the help of intelligent agent based early warning solutions. Paper presented at the Seventh International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems, Miami, FL. Abstract retrieved from http://www.iceis.org/iceis2005/abstracts_2005.htm
Presumably, the "Abstract retrieved" bit would become simply "Retrieved" if the whole paper were downloadable.
It's not entirely clear what to do with these. One could use Internet, or, probably better, Conference proceedings (and add the "retrieved" bit oneself). To my mind, this is such a common type that it would be good to have it in Bookends by default; but perhaps I'm wrong about this, and it's really an edge case?

4. The example I've put in point 1 above, if I switch the format to APA 6th, becomes:
Pals, T. (2009, Simple solutions: Creating interactive websites with drag and drop WizzyWigs. Paper presented at the Thirteenth Annual JALT CALL SIG Conference 2008.
The APA 6th formats are all new so presumably still need some polishing.

5. Using the example in point 1 again, I notice that Replicate as Book Chapter is available. When I use it, the presentation/proceedings chapter title becomes the title of the proceedings volume. To me, this suggests systematic ambiguity within Bookends as to whether Conference proceedings represents the whole conference (volume) or a part (presentation or paper) of the conference (volume).

6. BibTeX has @Proceedings and @Inproceedings as Types, but they're both mapped on to Conference proceedings in Bookends.

All the examples I've given are in APA formats, but I think there are some valid general points here, at least pertaining to nomenclature and possible enhancements to the User Guide if nothing else. Any thoughts, anyone?
ozean

Post by ozean »

For the reasons that rickl has given, I also tend to use the conference proceedings for those kinds of publications which are not part of a bound and edited book (even though the “proceedings” part of the name suggests otherwise – at least for me this sounds like they are part of a bound book, not single, floating entities that are only connected to a social occasion, not a material artifact.