Links

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
rickl

Links

Post by rickl »

It seems to me there's an interesting interface inconsistency with links, especially when compared to attachments. Consider 3 cases: viewing existing links; creating the first link from 1 reference to another; creating subsequent links from 1 reference to another.

1. To view an existing link: Click on the blue Links button in the reference window; OR click on the Attach button in the reference window, choose Show Inspector and switch to the Link button therein; OR click on the Inspector button in the list view

2. To create the first link from a reference:
(a) if the reference has an existing attachment: Click on the Attach button in the reference window, choose Show Inspector and switch to the Link button therein; OR Click on the Inspector button in the list view
(b) if the reference doesn't have an existing attachment: Click on the Inspector button in the list view

3. To create a second link when there's already one: Click on the blue Links button in the reference window; OR click on the Attach button in the reference window, choose Show Inspector and switch to the Link button therein; OR click on the Inspector button in the list view

It seems that the lack of options for case 2 (the most difficult of the 3 tasks), especially 2 (b), is an unfortunate gap, as it means there's no way of creating a link from the reference window, and, unlike the other buttons, the Links button doesn't do anything and may therefore appear broken.
ozean

Re: Links

Post by ozean »

I would also find it useful if the grey/empty link area would open the link inspector if it is being clicked.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Links

Post by Jon »

Hm, so the gray link icon in the reference window (indicating that there are no links) would still be enabled? I like that. If there are no objections, I'll do that.

Jon
Sonny Software