User1 and Key field clash ?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.

Have you enabled BibTex?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 2

rickl

User1 and Key field clash ?

Post by rickl »

I have BibTex enabled and have discovered recently what a wonderful thing that is. But I'm wondering what to do about web references in formats such as APA 5th, which use user1 for the date of retrieval. If I generate BibTex keys from the Refs menu, will this delete the retrieval information already there?

I don't have that many web references, so copying and pasting data between fields for each reference won't be too much trouble. So I'm thinking maybe I should move all the retrieval dates to User2 and change the $Retrieved $w part in formatting options to $Retrieved $x. Is this a good way to go?

Finally, does "Generate BibTex Key" do this only for the present reference, and if so is there a quick way to do it for all references that don't yet have one?

Thanks,
Rick
Jon
Site Admin

Re: User1 and Key field clash ?

Post by Jon »

rickl wrote:I have BibTex enabled and have discovered recently what a wonderful thing that is. But I'm wondering what to do about web references in formats such as APA 5th, which use user1 for the date of retrieval. If I generate BibTex keys from the Refs menu, will this delete the retrieval information already there?
Yes. But only, of course, if you invoke this menu item.
I don't have that many web references, so copying and pasting data between fields for each reference won't be too much trouble. So I'm thinking maybe I should move all the retrieval dates to User2 and change the $Retrieved $w part in formatting options to $Retrieved $x. Is this a good way to go?
In general, yes. But rather than copy/paste, do a Global Change -> Move.

Finally, does "Generate BibTex Key" do this only for the present reference, and if so is there a quick way to do it for all references that don't yet have one?
It only works for the present reference. If you want to do this in batch, export the references and import them into a fresh database, with "create key value when importing" turned on in Preferences (BibTeX tab)

Jon
Sonny Software
rickl

Post by rickl »

Thanks, Jon. It all sounds pretty straightforward. One thing that's occurred to me: References that I've imported from elsewhere (e.g. UniWakkaWiki), use User2 for ISBN numbers. If I take over User2 for retrieved date, is this going to create problems in the future?

Cheers,
Rick
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Probably not. If you don't need ISBN numbers for web citations (and you shouldn't), then this field can be used for retreived date for web citations.

Jon
Sonny Software