Advice re: library managers

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
dialectician

Advice re: library managers

Post by dialectician »

I own a few thousand books, stored at home and in my office, and I need a better way of keeping track of them and find ways of better integrating the material I have into my work flow. Currently, less than a quarter of my books are entered in my Bookends library, which means that I often overlook them in favor of journal articles available online or on my computer. But in my field (intellectual history), most of the good stuff is still in book form, which means that I can't just rely on the electronic formats.

So I've been thinking about downloading a library manager and getting a barcode scanner to catalog all my books. I saw that in past forum discussions, there were lively debates about Delicious Library, Books, Booxster, etc. Which software would you recommend? Can some of you who have used library managers for your own research comment on (a) whether they've been useful, and (b) how well the Bookends interface works.

Thanks!