smart group problem

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
danzac

smart group problem

Post by danzac »

I can't get the expected results from a smart group and can't figure out why. I want the smart group to be all books or edited books that don't have a call number.

I've attached a pic of the smart group setup for someone to help me figure out what I have done incorrectly.
Attachments
Bookends.png
Bookends.png (32.66 KiB) Viewed 3887 times
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
Jon
Site Admin

Re: smart group problem

Post by Jon »

Shouldn't the popup be "field is empty"?

Jon
Sonny Software
danzac

Post by danzac »

Oops, sorry. I took the screen shot after I changed it to see what difference it made. Neither of them worked as expected.
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I tried it on a simple database and it worked as I expected. Please try with a simple database and see if it works for you, too. If not, zip and send me the database, telling me why you think it isn't working correctly (it maybe something do do with boolean logic, because there is no user-defined grouping by parentheses).

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

BTW, here is a smart SQL group search that does the same thing. The advantage here is that you can group the boolean sets as you like:

(type = 2 OR type = 6) AND (user5 is NULL)

(type 2 = Book, type 6 = Edited Book, and user5 is the internal name of the default Call # field).

Jon
Sonny Software