Some references in a group

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
raymond

Some references in a group

Post by raymond »

Hello,

In the screen picture I am showing the upper example where I have some references in one place. I would like to show them in one group as it is shown in the below example.

I hope to your assistance and explanations.
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-08-04 at 18.40.57.jpg
Screen shot 2010-08-04 at 18.40.57.jpg (69.87 KiB) Viewed 10048 times
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Some references in a group

Post by Jon »

The most reliable way is to put all the references in the same temporary citation, each separated by a semicolon:

{Smith 2009 #3434; Fred 2010 #3243; Jones 2003 #2343}

Jon
Sonny Software
raymond

Post by raymond »

Thanks,

I did as suggested. The attached screen picture describes in the upper part how I arranged the references, and below is the undesired results.

Where I was wrong?
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-08-04 at 20.53.46.jpg
Screen shot 2010-08-04 at 20.53.46.jpg (68.42 KiB) Viewed 10037 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please contact tech support with more details of what you are doing, including an example of your word processor file.

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

It is a bit confusing that you post on both the Mellel and the Bookends forum – that way I don’t know where to post a reply to try to help you… It seems that you did not find a solution yet, or did nicka’s proposal help you?

From how I perceive your problem, nicka’s solution should actually work, but you might it takes more time than you would like to enter the citations manually in Mellel. The way I put multiple citations into Mellel is to mark all of them in Bookends and then press command+Y. This creates a citation object will all of the selected references in Mellel.

I hope this helps! :)
raymond

Post by raymond »

Thanks for your reply. I'll try it I have question to you about the procedure you proposed:
Where and how you choose all these citations in Bookends.

I mail my request to the Mellel forum after I have tried my chance here, as I explained. Jon has tried to help me, but we didn't arrive to a working solution, yet.
nicka

Post by nicka »

Just click on one in list view, then Command-click on the others until you have highlighted all the ones you want to go together (it is just like selecting multiple files in the Finder). Then press Command-y, as per Ozean's suggestion. (You have to make sure that Mellel is chosen as your word processor in Bookends preferences for this Command-y shortcut to work, by the way. It's under the General tab of Bookends preferences, right at the top.)

You can also drag and drop from Bookends' list view into a Mellel document. Get them open side by side, then highlight the desired references in Bookends, as described above, then click and hold on one of the selected references and drag into the Mellel document. You'll get a citation object in Mellel containing all of the references that were selected in Bookends. (Again, this is just like selecting and moving multiple files in the Finder).

Ozean: I also do things the way you suggested. The reason why I suggested manually inserting the citations was in order to show Raymond the crucial point about working with Bookends and Mellel together: the whole thing is based on citation objects, and each citation object works like a pair of curly brackets.
ozean

Post by ozean »

nicka wrote:Ozean: I also do things the way you suggested. The reason why I suggested manually inserting the citations was in order to show Raymond the crucial point about working with Bookends and Mellel together: the whole thing is based on citation objects, and each citation object works like a pair of curly brackets.
:)
nicka

Post by nicka »

Can you guess I'm a teacher...?
raymond

Post by raymond »

Well, I have completed the mission successfully. Thanks to both of you. You are always very helpful.
I did the proposal of Nicka by D&D into Mellel and after scanning, I got the desired result. I'll try that of Ozean, and certainly it would work as well.

Thanks
raymond

Post by raymond »

nicka and ozean,

I need your expertise and advise,

I have noticed that have lost a database of a Mellel file.
I have a file of 20 pages, in Hebrew, containing various references (in blue) inside the text. I can't find the database of this article. Jon has tried to help me but I didn't succeed to locate this DB.
My question: Would you be able to offer me a way how to reconstruct the date base out of these blue citation in the text.

TIA
ozean

Post by ozean »

Nope, when I read your post I couldn’t think of any solution other than the one that Jon offered (for finding the lost database).

It seems as if you might have to reconstruct your references with the help of Google Scholar and Library searches… :(
nicka

Post by nicka »

Same here.

The thing is that (as Jon has probably explained) the citation objects in Mellel generally only contain the following information: author, date, unique ID number. They are only intended to point to references in the Bookends database. The bulk of the information is stored in the Bookends database itself. So you can't reconstruct very much from the citation objects.

Again, I suppose Jon may have asked you this already, but do you have a backup of your hard drive? Are you running Time Machine? If so, your Bookends database may be in your backup.
raymond

Post by raymond »

Nicka,

Your idea of Time Machine is good and I didn't think about it. I am going to make this search with hopes to be successful.

Regards