install update

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
dgg32

install update

Post by dgg32 »

hello everyone.

i am not clear how you guys update bookends. Each time when new bookends version is available, the app just started firefox and downloaded the zip file for me. What i did was unpacked, mounted it. However, what should i do about the old installaion? should i first use appclean to remove the whole old folder+word plugin then move the new one to application?

is it possible to implement an "update" function that takes care of all this replace stuff and install itself automatically so that the user doesn't have to. thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Re: install update

Post by Jon »

dgg32 wrote:hello everyone.

i am not clear how you guys update bookends. Each time when new bookends version is available, the app just started firefox and downloaded the zip file for me. What i did was unpacked, mounted it. However, what should i do about the old installaion? should i first use appclean to remove the whole old folder+word plugin then move the new one to application?
Just drag the new Bookends 11 Folder to the Applications folder and click OK when the Finder asks if you want to replace the old one.
is it possible to implement an "update" function that takes care of all this replace stuff and install itself automatically so that the user doesn't have to. thanks
We used to use Sparkle, which did a great job with this. But the method broke down when we introduced a paid-for upgrade (Bookends 11). We're not going to use Sparkle again. And the "replace stuff" is just a single drag and drop, trivial.

Jon
Sonny Software
danzac

Post by danzac »

Is there any plans on a new installation implementation? I notice that Mellel has a Sparkle-type installation update, but it doesn't seem to be Sparkle. I'm always a fan of reducing the steps needed to complete a process
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

We used to use Sparkle, and it worked well, but there were a lot of problems when we released a paid-for 1.0 update. Many users performed the automatic download without reading the message, and then complained. We removed Sparkle after that and I'm reluctant to go back to a similar model. If it can be done without confusion I'd consider it again (not Sparkle, but a similar mechanism).

Jon
Sonny Software
danzac

Post by danzac »

A similar mechanism would be great. Bookends I think is the only app I have that doesn't have a built-in install update mechanism :-)
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~