Many authors

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
raymond

Many authors

Post by raymond »

Hello,

I am in an article in Hebrew, and some of the citations are composed of four names (one in a book, and one in a journal article)
The citation-feference appears in my article in the following way :
{ויץ et al., 1975, #41198}
I wish it would appear in my article in this way:
{ויץ ואחרים, 1975, #41198}

Where should I configure the format manager to realize this change?

TIA
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Many authors

Post by Jon »

You could create your own format and use that to create temporary citations.

Jon
Sonny Software
raymond

Post by raymond »

I was, may be, unclear in my question and request, since you didn't answer me directly to it.
Your answer is brilliant but my understanding is limited and i do not understand what you are proposing.
I'll try again (and if you don't know or don't wish to answer me, so, please, don't):
I am not asking how to create my own format. I am asking how to configure it in order that it creates the format I need.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I thought you wanted to create a temporary citation that's different from one of our defaults. My answer was to create your temporary citations using a format you design instead of defaults. I guess I don't understand, maybe someone else will be able to help you.

Jon
Sonny Software
suavito

Post by suavito »

Raymond, to make things clear (hopefully): You are talking about temporary citations here not final citations, right? What makes me wonder is that in other postings you mention you are using Mellel and Mellel does not show at all the temporary citation delimiters (i. e. the curly brackets) because it has light blue highlighting for temporary citations (which turns purple in the final citations).

Anyway, what I think you are looking for is a setting in the Bookends preferences, dept. Scan & Bib:
preferences_scan_and_bib.png
preferences_scan_and_bib.png (122.03 KiB) Viewed 9699 times
The temporary citation delimiters are set here and, more important for you, the Copy Citation/City by: setting. Here you define how the temporary citation looks like. When clicking on the arrows of the Cite by drop down menu you will find two options above the thin grey line: Content (which I chose) and Author, Date, Unique ID (which you chose or is set because it is the default if I remember correctly).

Below that grey line you will find a number of Bibliography formats, the top most should be the one you are using for your final output. Probably none of those will give you the output for temporary citations you want.

What you can do now—and this is what Jon suggested you to do—is create a new bibliography format which has the exact output you want for your temporary citations. And you would use that format only for the temporary citations while continuing to use whatever format you have been using for your final output.

To create a new bibliography format open in the main menu under Biblio the Formats Manager. Click the + in the lower left corner and start to define how you want your temporary citations to look like.

After you have created the new bibliography format you have to return to the Bookends preferences and set Cite By to your new format.

This does mean some work to do and you might consider if it is really necessary to change the temporary citations format. It is understandable why one would alter the final citations format but the temporary ones are just identifiers probably no-one but Bookends and you will ever see.
raymond

Post by raymond »

Thank you for your patient anf for your willing to share your knowledge with me.
I will learn your explanations and it will take me some time. If I will not find the desired solution by me, I'll come back to you here>
So, once again, thanks
Raymond
LloydWilliams

Post by LloydWilliams »

suavito I also want to change my temp from:

Currently: {Bensky et al., 2004, #94275@602}

Would like: {Bensky et al., 2004, CHM-MM, #94275@602}

I do not understand how to add ShortTitle to the settings to have it show. There seems to be no place to add it below:
Screen Shot 2011-08-16 at Tue, 16 Aug, 15.31 PM 1.png
Screen Shot 2011-08-16 at Tue, 16 Aug, 15.31 PM 1.png (97.31 KiB) Viewed 9691 times
LloydWilliams

Post by LloydWilliams »

Thought I had it figured out.

I changed Primary order to a, s, d

But then realized it also changed the bibliography to the short title.

I want the short title in the temp cite and the full title in the bib.

Any help? Thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You're making a format just for creating the temp citation (and specify it in preferences). You don't use this format for scanning. It's only used by Copy Citation.

Jon
Sonny Software
LloydWilliams

Post by LloydWilliams »

Thank you, that clears it up.
suavito

Post by suavito »

Lloyd, the key is the setting for the custom citation format in your screen shot.

The citation format you use is "-school". Then your final citation will look like you defined it in "-school". But for temporary citations you can either use one of the defaults or a customized citation format—and this has not at all to be the same as you use for the final citation!

Meaning: You create a new citation format, probably best based on your own "-school" and call it, say, "-school temporary". Then you alter "-school temporary" to get the temporary citation format you desire. And you set the custom citation format in the citation options (see your screenshot) of "-school" to "-school temporary". And you do the scanning of your document with "-school" like before.

You know how to order the elements of your temporary citations already. What I can not tell you is how to get an "et al." into the temporary citation.
Last edited by suavito on Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LloydWilliams

Post by LloydWilliams »

Thank you suavito. Very clear explanation. Thanks everyone.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi suavito,

You'd get et al. just the way you would if you were using the format to generate a bibliography -- check the "use et al." box in the temp citation format and set the number of authors that trigger it, where the text goes goes, etc. The temp citation generated by this new format will follow the rules you apply.

Jon
Sonny Software
suavito

Post by suavito »

Thanks, Jon. I did all the right things except for the one that I used one of the few multiple author books in my current database for testing reasons that had the authors and their initials mixed up right from the Amazon import. And that caused unwanted results. I fixed the author names and voilà, "et al." is where it belongs.
raymond

Post by raymond »

Hello,

I wonder in which way or which which software you were able to integrate screen pictures into the text you have published in this thread.

TIA for your explanations

Raymond