BoT not syncing all Static Groups. Some groups empty

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
TXCiclista

BoT not syncing all Static Groups. Some groups empty

Post by TXCiclista »

Not sure why, but after syncing BoT with Bookends, not all of my groups are showing up. Some of the ones that ARe showing up, are empty. All references have been synced, however, so it appears to just be a problem with the groups. I selected "All References" on sync and deselected "Attachments" (I have none).
Serge

Re: BoT not syncing all Static Groups. Some groups empty

Post by Serge »

We'll need your library to reproduce the problem here.
Please zip and send it to bookendsontap@sonnysoftware.com
and we'll follow up off-forum.

Serge
bulitt

Post by bulitt »

HI,

I'm experiencing a similar problem, synching some 50 static groups between OSX 10.9.5 and iOS9.
Erratic behaviour – sometimes this, other times empty – weird!

I had this problem recurring, but it just now I could circumvent it by making an extra copy of my latest group, and playing around with the synching function.
By this I mean synching to a fresh rebuilt & repaired library, and manually selecting all groups – then using the "All references" option without attachments, and finally synching "All references" with attachments.

However, this only works if I made the extra copy of my latest group - which then shows up empty in BoT!!???!?

Furthermore, when I right-click a reference to "Add to group" in Bookends, in the drop-down menu I continuously have the option to select groups that I deleted a long time ago. –This is also a bit buggy...

Finally, in BoT it would be great if I could add multiple references to a group simultaneously. Say, if I have done a search and imported some 10 references, it would be nice if I could easily add them all to the same group of my preference, in stead of having to do the same selection 10 times over.

Thanks!

Best,
/mads
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Sometimes a group's internal information is corrupted and it thinks it's hidden when it should not be. To fix this, click on the Action popup beneath the groups pane and select "Flatten Groups Hierarchy". All groups and folders will now be shown, sorted, at the root level. Rearrange you as you like them to appear.

See if this fixes the sync issue.

As for the feature request, I'll make sure Serge sees it.

Jon
Sonny Software
bulitt

Post by bulitt »

Ok, this appeared to solve the problem.
However, only for the same problem to reemerge, when I made a new group in BoT and tried to sync to Bookends!!! :shock: :cry: :evil: :roll:

After having "Flattened groups hierarchy" and rearranged all my groups (which was quite tedious, might I say..), I ran every aspect of library maintenance: "verify+reindex+rebuild".
Then I emptied the library in BoT, and synchronised to the new library.

I then added a new static group in BoT with some 15 references in it, and maybe 7-8 attachments.
So done I tried to sync to Bookends, which resulted in transfer of the references with their attachments, but deletion of the 'new' static group, meaning that the references herein was transferred without being assigned to a group!!!
-It appears as if Bookends forces the arrangement of folders and groups.

Then I tried to make the same static group in Bookends, which responded that a group with that name already exists. So I made another static group with a slightly different name, inside Bookends. Afterwards when synching the new group with the slightly different name appeared in BoT, with all the references and attachments in place.
-So BoT must have told Bookends about the original 'new' group afterall...!?

However, the original 'new' group is nowhere to be found.
In BoT I'm allowed to make a static group with the same name as the original 'new' group, but Bookends consistently claims this group already exist.

Hope you can make sense of this rambling, otherwise please let me try to explain further.

Thanks!

Best rgds.,
--
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If Bookends says the group already exists you'll have to flatten the group hierarchy to see it again.

If you can generate this problem again (after fixing the current one), please contact support@sonnysoftware.com the the exact steps I should take to see it with a fresh database. If I can't reproduce the problem I can't fix it.

Jon
Sonny Software