Shortcut to create New Note???

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
monstordh

Shortcut to create New Note???

Post by monstordh »

I would assume there would be a shortcut for creating a new note, as often as it is used. However, I have looked diligently, but am only able to add notes via the "+" symbol at the bottom of the window. Am I missing something? Is there a way? And if there isn't, why not? This is one of the most repetitive tasks in Bookends.
~darren

"You can live opposite of what you profess, but you cannot live opposite of what you believe." - Dallas Willard
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Shortcut to create New Note???

Post by Jon »

You can right-click on the note stream to add a new note (and do a lot of other things). I'd have to think about a keyboard shortcut.

Jon
Sonny Software
monstordh

Post by monstordh »

Thanks, Jon. I had forgotten about that. However, it still would be MUCH quicker & easier to use a shortcut. I hope to see this implemented soon. Blessings!
~darren

"You can live opposite of what you profess, but you cannot live opposite of what you believe." - Dallas Willard
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I've added this shortcut, Command-[, which will open a new notecard for editing (i.e. add notecard) if the note stream is showing in the right pane. Is that what you're after?

Jon
Sonny Software
monstordh

Post by monstordh »

Although Command-[ doesn't seem very intuitive, I will take what I can get. Is Command-Shift-N already mapped?
~darren

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes, New Database. The actual keystrokes are unimportant for commands you use frequently because you'll remember them. And if you don't use the function frequently you probably don't need the keyboard shortcuts.

Jon
Sonny Software
monstordh

Post by monstordh »

Trust me in regard to keystrokes… I've got muscle-memory for each one of my apps. :-) So… will this be available in a future update?
~darren

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes, already done for 11.2.5. If there's a different keyboard shortcut that's not in use and that you'd prefer, let me know (but check thoroughly, all the obvious shortcuts are in use).

Jon
Sonny Software
monstordh

Post by monstordh »

Sounds great. When is 11.2.5 scheduled for release?
~darren

monstordh

Post by monstordh »

We may need to open another discussion on this, or it may just fold immediately due to the complexity, but I at least wanted to ask. What is the possibility of tagging individual notes, verses sources? To me that makes a lot more sense, because I use Bookends for sources that will be used for a variety of writing projects and although the tags will get me to the source, I may have 20-50 notes per source. It would be nice if they were individually tagged to avoid having to wade through each note.
~darren

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

We just released 11.2.4 a few weeks ago, so 11.2.5 is probably at least a few weeks away.

Do you mean you want to takes notes independently of references? That doesn't really fit with reference management software. Other apps do that very well, and you can integrate Bookends with them by using hypertext links to link individual references with notes (I'm thinking of Slipbox, Scrivener, DevonThink, and Tinderbox).

Jon
Sonny Software
monstordh

Post by monstordh »

Thank you for your suggestions. I looked at each one of these apps. None of them are what I am looking for. Bookends is the app and has been working for me. It's just difficult managing multiple notes per source. Here's an example:

I am writing a book on Discipleship. With this, I will have probably 50+ sources with anywhere from 1 to 50 notecards per reference. However, not all of those notecards will be related to my research on this particular topic. There will be other topics that I will be writing on in the future that also use some of these sources. Being able to tag the actual notes, rather than the source would help distinguish these notecards for the project.
~darren

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm not sure what you mean by tagging, but if you've followed this thread

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2865

you'll see that the next update will give you the ability to add headers to the note stream and individual notecards. With this, and the ability to shuffle your notecards with drag and drop, you'll be able to label/tag/organize your notes in logical groups. And you can search your notes, now, any number of ways.

Jon
Sonny Software
monstordh

Post by monstordh »

That looks a little more like what I'm talking about. Using the #Title as what I would call a tag to group your notes. That would definitely be better, but the method I was thinking would not just group notes in one source, but would span multiple sources. Currently, the tags span multiple sources, but aren't attached to individual notes in any way.
~darren

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I don't understand what you want, the request is too vague. I know what a keyword is, I don't know what you mean by tag (unless you mean the tag cloud, which doesn't apply here). You'll have to be more concrete in your explanation.

As I said, notes belong to references, they are not global. You can of course search notes for certain words, so if you had a notecard header in multiple references ("D-Day"), you could search for all references that had a notecard header with that "tag" (Find, or the live search box). You could create smart groups to do this for you as well. Then you'd retrieve all references that have notes discussing D-Day.

Jon
Sonny Software