Shortcut to create New Note???

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
monstordh

Re: Shortcut to create New Note???

Post by monstordh »

Jon wrote:You can of course search notes for certain words, so if you had a notecard header in multiple references ("D-Day"), you could search for all references that had a notecard header with that "tag" (Find, or the live search box). You could create smart groups to do this for you as well. Then you'd retrieve all references that have notes discussing D-Day.
That sounds like what I'm looking for, Jon. Is this feature available now, or will it be implemented in 11.2.5?
~darren

"You can live opposite of what you profess, but you cannot live opposite of what you believe." - Dallas Willard
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Searching/smart groups is available now. Headers coming in 11.2.5. But remember, a header is just text (in the Notes field). You can create them now (and they'll just appear as normal notecards now). In 11.2.5 they'll have a distinctive look that will distinguish them from regular notes, but they'll be useful right now if you want to search for them.

Jon
Sonny Software
monstordh

Post by monstordh »

Jon wrote:Searching/smart groups is available now. Headers coming in 11.2.5. But remember, a header is just text (in the Notes field). You can create them now (and they'll just appear as normal notecards now).
The problem with using them now is that they import into my document along with the notecard. Definitely don't want that. Please be sure the header "tag" is excluded when copying notecards for the 11.2.5 release.
~darren

"You can live opposite of what you profess, but you cannot live opposite of what you believe." - Dallas Willard
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You mean the header text? The hash symbol (#)? Or both? Give an example of what you want and I'll see.

As I have it now, the # is never copied. The header text is not copied if you "copy citation" or "copy notecard and citation". The header *is* copied if you just "copy notecard". This makes sense to me, anyway.

Jon
Sonny Software
monstordh

Post by monstordh »

Both. I don't think either of those should be copied at any time, unless specified. That would get annoying very quickly.
~darren

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I don't agree. I think "Copy notecard" (unlike Copy citation or Copy notecard and citation) should copy the entire contents of the notecard. We'll see how it works in the real world when it's released.

Jon
Sonny Software
monstordh

Post by monstordh »

Jon wrote:I don't agree. I think "Copy notecard" (unlike Copy citation or Copy notecard and citation) should copy the entire contents of the notecard. We'll see how it works in the real world when it's released.
I think you should get some input from others. I wouldn't consider the header as actual content of the notecard, but rather tagging or organizational information. Why would I want to copy the header of my notecard when I'm trying to paste an inline quote with citation? Is anyone using this for real world applications, rather than lists?
~darren

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

No one is using headers yet. Please just wait for the feature to appear, then give your feedback.

Jon
Sonny Software
monstordh

Post by monstordh »

Jon wrote:No one is using headers yet. Please just wait for the feature to appear, then give your feedback.
I don't mean to come across as abrasive, but my opinion will remain the same. When I'm copying & pasting a notecard with a citation in the middle of a paragraph of text, I don't want to have to remove superfluous information from my citation. I think it would be wise to poll your users on this.
~darren

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's what this thread is for. But since no one has actually used the feature, I don't expect any informed comment yet. I know you've already decided, but I haven't, and I'll wait until people who have used it give some feedback. I can see the utility in copying headers as well as the advantages of not.

Jon
Sonny Software

P.S. I explicitly twice wrote that when you copy notecard and citation the header will *not* be copied. So if that is indeed your intended use, it will work as you want.
monstordh

Post by monstordh »

I'm sorry, Jon. Thanks for the clarification. I got my feathers ruffled for nothing. I misread your post about it *not* being copied as the default (except for only copying the notecard). Please forgive me for any grief I have caused you today. Thanks for your help and willingness to listen.
~darren

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I realized there is already a shortcut for adding a notecard: type Shift-Enter while the note stream is showing. You can use this while waiting for Command-[ in 11.2.5 (which is coming soon).

Jon
Sonny Software
monstordh

Post by monstordh »

Jon wrote:I realized there is already a shortcut for adding a notecard: type Shift-Enter while the note stream is showing. You can use this while waiting for Command-[ in 11.2.5 (which is coming soon).
Doesn't work for me.
~darren

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Are you pressing Return? It's Shift-Enter, not Shift-Return. And the note stream must have the focus.

Jon
Sonny Software
monstordh

Post by monstordh »

Ah… Enter on the Keypad. Got it. Thanks!
~darren