PDF annotation & BOT sync

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
sis20

PDF annotation & BOT sync

Post by sis20 »

Hi,

I have difficulties syncing annotations and highlights in PDFs between BE and BOT. After having annotated a BE PDF attachment in Preview the file syncs fine with BOT. However, since I do most of my PDF reading on my iPad, I cannot sync back changes easily. I open the PDF in BOT, send it to GoodReader or PDF Expert, make my changes, and send it back to BOT. I then delete the old attachment, replacing it with the modified version from GR or PDF Ex. The BE-BOT sync does not pick up the changes unless I rename the modified PDF in BOT. Then, however, I end of with two attachments in BE, which requires me to detach one and delete it. The problem occurs in both GR and PDF Expert, irrespective of whether I flatten the annotations or not. I have tried every possible permutation but I cannot get it to work.

Is it possible to make the BE-BOT sync sensitive to PDF annotations and highlights? Failing that, are there plans to implement PDF annotation in BOT and in BE (or just in BOT, as long as they are compatible with Preview).

In the meantime, I'm not syncing my PDFs with BOT. Instead, I sync the attachments with PDF Expert on my iPad (using Dropbox), so that all changes - whether made by Preview on my Mac or by PDF Expert on my iPad - are reflected in my BE attachments. The problem with this solution is that my PDF attachments are not linked to the respective BOT entries.

I'd be grateful for some thoughts on this issue.

Seb
Serge

Re: PDF annotation & BOT sync

Post by Serge »

You should not delete the old attachment in BOT. On importing back from GR BOT will try to guess the right attachment automatically, or you should be able to change the name if GR added some text to the name.